Topic

Random Trail Meetings and Thanks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Random Trail Meetings and Thanks

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Dave B
    BPL Member

@dmbyerley

Did you ever randomly meet hikers that gave you a great tip and you wanted to thank them but had no way?  I met two women hikers (one from Hawaii and one from Oregon)  in Sawtooths this past September. We were ahead of schedule and instead of killing an extra day around the trail head and spending the night before we headed north, they suggested my son and I visit Gold Bug hot springs.  We had no idea where it was, but literally  it was two miles from the road we had to take north to get to Bitterroots and Lochsa area. We hit sunset in the hot spring and grabbed a perfect camp before heading north the next day.  Have always wanted to thank them!  It was crazy perfect.  Must not be uncommon to get a great tip and want to thank a stranger on the trail.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Lucky you!!
    That’s a good story to hear.
    On my trip in the Swiss Alps in the  Uri region I came across an old  (!) couple hiking up to a high valley to see the wildflowers one more time, as they said . They had stopped at a bench and the old man was rubbing his wife’s feet ( in most tender and loving way) and I sat down with them a few minutes and offered them some water because it was 92 and humid . They gave me directions to a smaller valley that wasn’t too hard to get to but around a bend I would not have found on my own. When I got there I was overwhelmed by the  beauty of it all; the flowers, the creek meandering, the views, the sounds – all of it. They didn’t have to tell me and I didn’t ask. I am sure glad they led me there.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools