Topic

Rainbow 1 or other solo tent??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Rainbow 1 or other solo tent??

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Gerald Magnes
    BPL Member

@gmagnes

Locale: Southeast US

I have an original Rainbow 1 which I like very much, but it’s showing a little wear and tear.  I like some of the small tweaks that have been made to the Rainbow in recent years, so am thinking of getting a newer version. I like the combination of light weight (I think mine is about 32-33 ozs.) and generous living space–easy to sit up and move around and store all of your gear. The current Rainbow is somewhere between 33-41 ozs., depending on the options you choose (ie, carbon fiber pole, liner, etc.).

Before I pull the trigger on a new Rainbow though, I wonder if anyone has any other light weight solo tents to suggest in the same weight range and with reasonably generous living space.  I don’t use hiking poles and tend to do mostly multi day canoe trips these days, but those do often require a fair amount of carries between lakes/rivers, so light weight is important.  I’m ok with single or double wall and doesn’t need to have two doors.  Henry Shires suggested the Moment DW as a possible alternative.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Gerry

Anthony A
    Spectator

@halfred-galpsi

Locale: Middle West Earth

My last tent was the Double Rainbow and it was a great tent, but like you, I wanted to shift to a lighter solo tent. I now use the SMD Lunar Solo. I wouldn’t say that it’s spacious, but it fits my pack and myself with ease. It is very easy to pitch and I like it a lot. After seam-sealing and including the groundsheet it weighs 26 oz.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I really like my Tarptent Moment DW. For a lighter version consider the Notch Li with the silnylon floored inner tent option. For flooring silnylon will last linger against punctures than Dyneema floors.

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

For your purposes the Moment DW is hard to beat, though not massive height that makes it more storm worthy. However not much weight difference even with carbon pole. Protrail with custom carbon pole from Fibraplex would be under 30 oz. Big floor space, minimal head space.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

John  Burgess has just posted some nice photos of his Moment in Scotland.

Looks like early summer weather there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1327114830710579/?fref=nf

The current version of the Rainbow has several improvements from the original (it’s the third version at least) so if you enjoyed the first you should like the new one better .

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools