Topic

Rain setup for SOBO PCT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Rain setup for SOBO PCT

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Houser
    BPL Member

@ryanhouser

Do you think a cheap Dri Ducks jacket, Dynamo wind pants and a pair of waterproof mittens would be sufficient for a SOBO PCT start in July? I know the wind pants aren’t waterproof but I was just thinking of what would keep me warm. I’m not sure if considering a skirt or waterproof pants would be necessary, but I would only be sacrificing about 2 oz by swapping the wind pants and upgrading to something waterproof…

Terry Sparks
    Spectator

@firebug

Locale: Santa Barbara County Coast

With the July start, the rain will be warm enough to be comfortable and if you’re good to get through the Sierra’s before October 15, you shouldn’t have a problem. I was a NOBO in ’14, which was a dry year, but never wore rain pants the entire hike.  What may be a smart thing is to keep an eye on the 10 day forecast   while in towns to resupply to get better rain gear mailed to your next stop, if you erxpect cold rain to be on the way later in the hike. Southern California (lived here for all my 60 years)  is usually dry in the fall and chances are, you’ll see blue skies most every day, if not every day. In fact, you have a better chance of getting detoured off the trail because of fire, than getting wet..

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Sorry to the previous poster but I really do disagree.

Yes, you may get lucky and do the entire JMT without a drop of rain… I did.

But… I have been in the Sierra when it rained every day for a week… and COLD rain… freezing cold with hail.

I also check weather reports before Sierra trips. Sometimes they are accurate, sometimes horribly wrong. One time I left with a clear forecast for a week… that’s what the posted weather report said at the ranger station… fresh report that morning. First day was sunny… but next day it started to rain and didn’t stop for 6 days.

Moral of the story… always take rain gear in the Sierra… this is NOT So Cal… you will be up at 9 to 12,000 foot elevations… when it is a warm rain in So Cal it is freezing up on the JMT… not always… but often enough. Don’t skimp too much on ounces when it comes to rain gear that keeps you from getting wet and hypothermic…

Billy

Ryan Houser
    BPL Member

@ryanhouser

I guess I should have clarified, I’m only doing WA and OR, I did MEX – OR last summer, and yeah hail and rain in the Sierra that was pretty darn cold. I used a zpacks poncho groundsheet then but I’ve since sold it and now back to the Dri Ducks.

Brian B
    BPL Member

@brianb

Locale: Alaska

The DriDucks should be fine.  If you were going to be out for 4.5 months, I would recommend not wearing it first thing in the morning (until you warm up), as the material will wear out.  I still might not wear it most days but, otherwise, it’s a fine choice.

Ryan Houser
    BPL Member

@ryanhouser

I guess I was more nervous about just the dynamo wind pants on the bottom half…

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

If you go windpants make sure you have sone light long underwear

With non WPB pants, once they get soaked they will cling to your thighs, cooling off the major blood vessels there

In warm temps it might not be a big deal, just uncomfortable

In cooler temps it can be pretty darn unconfortable or even dangerous …

;)

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Anything tight woven is very cold to the touch when wet. That’s why I switched from thin tight woven shorts to knit stretchy shorts similar to bike shorts. Much more comfortable and warm when wet. You want minimal surface contact with your skin and really tight dense woven fabrics provide maximum surface contact.

Ken S
    Spectator

@nobody2

Curious about how this worked out for you.

I’m thinking about using a poncho for PCT SOBO but fearful of the overgrowth and blowdowns.  I would think the Dry-duck jacket couldn’t take the abuse, but maybe the WA trail is not really so overgrown?

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

For the WA/OR PCT, blowdowns in July shouldn’t be a big deal. They *are* a big deal by the time Oct/Nov rolls around and the coastal storms start hammering the Crest, and trail crews are long gone.

As for “overgrowth” the PCT corridor in both states is limited to pretty soft overgrowth. There won’t be slide alder or devil’s club or anything grabbing at you if you’re actually on the trail. One exception I know of is if you attempt one of the (much more scenic) Glacier Peak area alternates. The Official PCT through this area spends a lot of time in the trees (even the “official alternate” kind of sucks – I mean, this area has to be one of the most beautiful sections of the WA/OR PCT!), unfortunately, and some of the “unofficial” alternate routes are pretty awesome. The one I’ve done (Napeequa / High Pass) has a little bit of (easy, but brushy) off-trail through slide alder that can get pretty gnarly. I still think I’d be OK in Dri-Ducks, though…maybe…with some repair tape in my next resupply box…

Anyway, Dri-Ducks should be fine, especially if you’re reasonably intentional about caring for your gear.

Some Tyvek (sheathing-type) Tape in your resupply box would be a good idea for any repairs as needed.

But…in WA at least, assuming that rain will be “warm” in July is not a great premise on which to base your rain gear decision. I’ve spent many, many miles on the WA PCT in July shivering my way through 40s/50sF, wind, rain, and shivery weather.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

I’ve dabbled in other rain gear but keep coming back to Dry-Ducks, especially with the season you are considering.   I’ve never carried rain pants on long hikes and I think with your start time you should have some excellent weather in the Cascades.   You always CAN run into foul weather but if you used that justification for everything you wouldn’t be posting in this forum.

I like the DryDucks pants in winter, although I continually split the crotch.   I still use them with the “ventilated” crotch feature because they are still functional.  I just don’t need rain paints for 99% of my rain hiking.    They get used in camp and I’d use them in towns if I was doing laundry but I wouldn’t hike in them unless there are horrendous conditions.    Hands are another matter…  mine get cold in the prolonged rain so I use various strategies to keep them warm.

Terry Sparks
    Spectator

@firebug

Locale: Santa Barbara County Coast

If you think about this for a minute, Dri Ducks will keep you dry just as they are designed to do, and as $300 rain gear will do.  Also, there won’t be much difference in the warmth you get from them vs. expensive gear, provided you layer to only keep you “just warm enough” to manage sweating.  In looking back at my trail experiences,  the times I’ve been caught in summer weather thats turned wet and cold, without gloves and overmits, are the only times I’ve been cold in summer hiking.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

Well…. the hood isn’t anywhere near as good as some of the more expensive rain gear.   I wear a baseball cap in the rain which helps keep my glasses clear so that deficiency isn’t as noticeable.     If I were going into days of muck I’d probably take a better jacket.   Of course, you have to consider the source… I use cheap Walmart Trekking poles too.   The concept that I can walk into Walmart and buy a complete set of rain gear for $20 that is lighter than any of my other choices has some sway in my opinion.     You never have to use expensive coatings on the Frog Toggs, they are extremely breathable, dry fast, and if I tear them I don’t even cuss.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools