Topic

Rain Pants Recommendation – Durability, Fit, Weight, WPB

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Rain Pants Recommendation – Durability, Fit, Weight, WPB

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Brian K
    Spectator

@jollies

Hi All,

Recently joined member here!  Glad to join the community!

I’m struggling a bit with my rain pants for an early Spring section hike on the AT in southern VA (late March / early April).  During my recent testing in low 40s rain near my home, my EE Copperfield pants just didn’t cut it, as much as I hoped they would.  I’ll definitely use a rain skirt or these Copperfield pants for late Spring/Summer/Early Fall when it’s warmer, but I need warmer leg coverage for the colder months.  Would like to keep under 5oz if I can as I am already carrying heavier gear than a warmer-weather hike in other places.  I’ve been looking at the following:

Montbell Versalite – Love their Jacket!  Sectionhiker really calls out their pants durability.  Even though AT is normally OK, there are times where trail gets tight.

OR Helium – Heaviest of the bunch at over 6oz, but I’ve used them in the past and I know they work and are pretty durable, just had the wrong size for me before.

ZPacks Vertice – Most reviews focus on jacket.  Worried about the fit after reading comments on their site.  I have big thighs, so having a Large to accommodate that seems like it will make them slide down my legs.

EE Visp – Most reviews focus on jacket.  Some say inseem too short, but I know Copperfields fit, so assume these would.  Durability?

Lightheart Gear – Reviews seem to indicate really baggy fit and durability issues.  Cheapest of the bunch.

Can anyone give any feedback on what they use and their experience with fit/durability?  I am 5’11” 195 (I’ve let myself go a bit lately).

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

I’ve had OR Heliums for years. I know they’re old school and probably not as cutting edge as most people on the forum would like, but they’ve always worked fine for me. I’ve had a small tear or two, but not from incidental use, more from stupidly sitting on something sharp. Easily repaired.

Sometimes I wish they had pockets, but that would probably increase the weight significantly.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

It seems some of your requirements are in opposition to each other.

Lighter weight is not generally as durable…  or as warm.

I have the ZPacks Vertice Pants and like them a lot. I certainly would not consider them durable for bushwhacking, but they are very light weight and slip on easily over my trail runners. Yes, they are baggy, but they are so lightweight and supple I really don’t notice that when walking. I would not consider them to be warm… though they do add warmth by blocking the wind and rain.

Brian K
    Spectator

@jollies

Yeah understand the conflict between durability and light weight.  I’m currently considering the Heliums to be the top of durability in the ones I listed unless told otherwise.  Maybe I’m trying to find some experiences on this to build a matrix.

Bill Budney
    BPL Member

@billb

Locale: Central NYS

Kilt plus tall gaiters is a good combination.

More ventilated than rain pants, easier on/off over shoes/boots, and full coverage.

David Hartley
    BPL Member

@dhartley

Locale: Western NY

Another vote for the Heliums. I have used the same pair for maybe 5 years, 3-4 weeks per year (2-4 spring/fall trips), and we seem to ALWAYS have at least one all day rain day on every trip. I don’t baby them – although I do use a sit pad. They have acquired one small tear, repaired with tenacious tape I think, and I think the membrane is failing in a few spots – but they are water proof enough for me.

Spring/Fall is key though – in warmer weather I just wear shorts and my legs and shorts get wet. Although I might still bring the pants to get warm later after I take off the wet shorts.

You likely need extra large size. I am 5’11” and 180-185 lbs (also carrying extra lbs – I should be closer to 165-170 lbs), anyway I have a size large that just fits, but if I was 5 lbs heavier it wouldn’t.

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

I have the Lightheart gear non-breathable ones. I like them a lot. I have the Vertice as well…but, you will need to add DWR every few years to make them waterproof. Lightheart gear ones don’t have that problem. I also like the slits in the pants through which you can access your pant pockets. Mine is a few years old. I used them on PCT Washington in all kinds of rainy weather – full day rain events etc and they did not wet out

James R
    BPL Member

@wapitispokes

I’ve been chasing the same goal for a while and ultimately landed on a preference to try out E vent pants, ideally Visp from EE.  Rationale: Best vapor transmission combined with exceptionally lightweight.

EE recently told me that the Mens Visp bottoms snd I think jacket also, are unavailable due to fabric unavailability.   no idea when availability will develop.

I happened to review websites earlier today with a focus on pants made with E- vent.

Montbell tends to have lightweight products that usually review well.  Not sure if they are on your list.

I thought (could be wrong) that the Montbell product was E- vent but they are using Goretex infinium now. Infinium is not considered to be waterproof but it might be good enough?

OR Helium – never used but they have a following. Also have had some criticisms but they do seem to hit a sweet spot on weight and relative durability for a relatively inexpensive rain pant.  I’m stating this based on lots of online research.

I’ve been holding out for E-vent pants. Your only choice w current availability might be the Vertice.

another idea I have considered similar Bill Bundeys suggestion – buy Frogg Togg pants, combine with tall gaiters and cut the legs short to mid shin  for better ventilation and movement. Or even go to rain chaps and turn the Frogg Toggs into shorts.

This probably isn’t the time for you to experiment with the Frogg Togg trimming / combined with some type of separate leg covering idea but perhaps others who read this have tried it?

typed poorly by iPhone 😊

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools