Topic

Rain Kilt/Wind Pants vs. Rain Pants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Rain Kilt/Wind Pants vs. Rain Pants

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

We leave on Saturday and I’m debating some options.  I have a rain kilt and EE wind pants as well as Montbell rain paints.

I’m leaning toward the kilt and wind pants.  I’ll have zip-off hiking pants for the conservation project and activities that require long pants. The wind pants can double as a breathable warmth layer at night.  The kilt can double as a ground sheet under my Aeon.

The 10 day forecast on weather dot com for Philmont is thunderstorms every afternoon at about 50% chance.  So, it will be hit or miss, I’m sure.

I’m also taking both a very light fleece and Ghost Whisperer jacket.  That will likely be a game-time decision on what goes on trail and what is left in the van.

On a mostly unrelated note, the last “prep hike” my son and I did was earlier this month to the Briksdal glacier near Olden, Norway. Our dinner accommodations were on a cruise ship, not dehydrated meals.  :)

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Brad

Does the weight of the windpants + kilt exceed the weight of the Montbell rain pants? That would cause me to lean toward either the kilt or the rain pants.

A thunderstorm at Philmont during monsoon season can drop what feels like an inch of rain. If you are used to using your kilt in heavy rain, take it. I am not sure you need the kilt plus rain paints.

I have the original zpacks kilt which barely reaches my knees but works well enough in Sierra Nevada summer showers which are rather brief.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

The kilt/wind pants is 3.4oz.  The Montbell Peak Shell rain pants are 5.7oz.

For me, I’m more concerned about utility and which option will make me enjoy the trek more than the 2.3 oz weight difference.  All else being equal, take the weight savings.  But all else isn’t equal here.  They’re different.

I’m leaning toward the kilt and wind pants as the most flexible option.  In a deluge, I’d have the zip-off legs on my pants, the wind pants and the kilt.

I’m trying to balance being prepared vs. packing fears.  I think my greatest fear (for myself) is being cold.

Douglas F
    BPL Member

@palisade14

Brad,

Did you end up using the kilt and if so, how’d it go?

I’ve never been a fan of rain pants at all–preferring to just get wet in lieu of the clammy feel–so I’m researching alternatives.

I’ll be at Philmont the last week of July.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I used the kilt part of 1 day when it was warm and raining.

Other times when it rained it was cooler and I wore rain pants. I also wore the rain pants on chilly mornings before hiking.

We’re going again this year and I will probably leave the kilt behind and only take rain pants.

Douglas F
    BPL Member

@palisade14

Thanks. Doesn’t sound like the kilt came in too handy.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools