Topic

Rain jacket size for layering?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Rain jacket size for layering?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Hans Dampf
    BPL Member

@solars

Hi,

I’m curious about your experience with rain jacket size regarding layering.
    What should we be able to fit under the jacket?

I’m trying different layering options, for insulation etc. I guess I don’t have to be able to get
    get my Mirage Parka under the rain jacket as it probably won’t rain at this temperatures anyway.

Or does anyone have different experience?

Thanks!

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

I assume that at some point in the trip (perhaps multiple times) I will be wearing nearly every clothing item I brought at once. Otherwise I have probably overpacked. And I usually don’t need a different ‘size’ jacket, I just have found specific jacket cuts that layer well. I still wear my normal size large, but the Montane Spine jacket can fit a Nano Air hoody underneath or even a Arc’x Cerium AR. And on a cool evening, I will wear it all.

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

I have layered over my mirage parka on winter trips…you can still get wet snow, or if you build a fire you might want to protect the mirage with a less expensive outer layer.  Also, it can provide wind protection over your mirage as well.  I sized up with an OR Helium II that I got on sale.

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Locale: Austria

deleted

Hans Dampf
    BPL Member

@solars

Thanks for the comments – I’m right now comparing two sizes with:

a) MH Ghostwhisperer + Lightweight fleece
    b) fleece + mirage parka

The smaller one is tight for b), but for a) fits nicely. I’m not sure if I should really think of rain at the temperatures I expect with combination b). However, you are probably right regarding wet snow etc.

It just feels a bit too large otherwise..

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

I wear L everything except for rain jacket – mine’s an XL (OR Helium HD). It’s not crazy big but it allows me to layer all my other clothes (base layer, LS button up, and puffy) without compressing the down, and vents better when being used as an active or wind-blocking layer. It is quite impressive how much warmth it adds when fully zipped up over all the other layers!

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools