Topic

Rain Jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Rain Jacket

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Connaghan
    BPL Member

@lovinevrymoment4

Today is the last day of the REI sale and so I’m trying to figure out the best rain jacket to buy for myself.  In February I’m going to begin a long-term bicycle tour of central and South America. I expect to be caught in downpours in all sorts of weather and so I need something that will keep me dry and warm. I started researching today and I didn’t realize that the options are so endless!!! I have used DriDucks in the past when hiking but I’m def looking for something a bit more high end now. Event, Neoshell, Goretex?? If people have ideas or helpful information to guide me toward a single choice that would be greatly appreciated!!
    Love to ya all,
    Kevin

Jeff Hollis
    BPL Member

@hyperslug

Lots of options but two things I would look for are pit zips for the needed ventilation and pack ability for limited space. As far as warm, it is much more versatile to wear synthetic layers under your rain shell than in insulated version. Plus no matter what you get you will still get damp so the synthetic layers will help manage that. I don’t ride, so not really certain about the needed back length on a bike since your bent over but needs to be considered.  Marmot Precip and TNF Venture jackets might fit the bill if the length works or you can pay more and get something more durable but give up some pack ability.

I hope this helps. Jeff

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

For any long term use, or, extended use, do NOT rely on Water Proof Breathable.

Generally, nothing works in extended rain. But, a simple PVC coated fabric provides excellent durability, multiple use (as a ground cloth), and still comes in at around 5-6oz.

Kevin Connaghan
    BPL Member

@lovinevrymoment4

So in terms of needs for the jacket, weight isn’t all that high for me right now. Really I want something water proof and durable. Considerations after that in order, from high to low, is price, weight, packability.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

REI’s Kimta eVent shell is a screaming deal right now. It’s in the “Garage,” and they have sizes S, M, and L available. With the 20% off, it comes in at around $100-110, depending on your local sales tax. This shell is much more robust than the PreCip, but it’s of course heavier, at about 1.0 pound.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

“For any long term use, or, extended use, do NOT rely on Water Proof Breathable.”

<hr />

+1. I have given up on WPB fabrics for rain. For snow, they’re usually fine. But for rain, they wet out, and they don’t really breathe all that great either. I’ve gone to a fully impermeable coat. It’s heavier, and It requires more fiddling on my part to manage my body heat/sweat but it actually keeps me dry no matter how long it rains. Considering the rain in Alaska is generally in the sweet spot for hypothermia (33-50 degrees) staying dry is critical.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

anything made by OR …

because when the WPB eventually fails, beyond REIs 1 year guaranty, youll want something u can ship back and they give you a new one

not to mention some of em have hem length pit zips for better ventilation

and if its constantly wet and you are at high exertion …. youll get damp if not wet … period

;)

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Kevin,

For cycling versus backpacking, the new GORE-TEX® SHAKEDRY™ Jackets should be ideal.

Kevin Connaghan
    BPL Member

@lovinevrymoment4

Jeff: Yes, that sounds about right! Waterproof shell and layers underneath. Especially since I’ll be in the tropics for much of my trip. Durability is big especially since I am rough on my gear. Do you have any recommendations for something more durable?

Dena: What exactly sort of coat is that? Example? I’m headed to central and south America so that seems a bit too heavy for much of the tropical biking I’ll be doing.

James: So people don’t like WPB???? :/

Gary: That looks like an excellent option. Do you have any experience with it?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

some people like WPB, some don’t, lots of threads about this

I like them.  They keep me dry over a wide range of conditions.  Steady rain, warm temps, and high exercise level I will get wet.  But nothing is perfect under all conditions.

Plan B is to have a thin nylon shirt that will dry out quickly.  Synthetic vest or jacket to put on if I stop exercising and I get cold.  If I put synthetic over damp shirt, it’ll dry out after a while.  Down would lose loft and insulation and take a long time to dry.

There’s a video of miltary guys that jump in ice water for a while, then get out, put on synthetic insulation or get in synthetic sleeping bag and they dry out after a while

Jeff Hollis
    BPL Member

@hyperslug

Kevin, sorry I really don’t have a suggestion for something more durable since weight is a primary concern for my uses. Feeling the face fabric will give you some clue about its potential durability.

Jeff

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Kevin, I do have a bit of experience with the REI Kimtah shell. I bought one last fall for use while doing snowshoe day trips, as it was on sale for $140 (looks like I should have waited a year, huh?). While I don’t care for the 17 ounce weight (it’s an XL), I am impressed with how much better eVent breathes vs. Gore-tex. The Kimtah has 2 hand warmer pockets and one chest pocket, as well as pit zips, and all zippers are waterproof. What I like most about it, besides the breathability, is the macho outer fabric. It should hold up to all sorts of scrapes from ice or tree branches. Being built tough, it doesn’t roll up to a small volume. So packability suffers, which might be a minus for your intended use. Still, you can’t beat the price.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

“Dena: What exactly sort of coat is that? Example? I’m headed to central and south America so that seems a bit too heavy for much of the tropical biking I’ll be doing.”

……

Kevin- you are correct, it would be overkill for the tropics. I have a higher concern with staying dry due to risk of hypothermia, but that doesn’t sound like it will be an issue for you.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Kevin, I really don’t see the point of WP/breathable barriers. In extended rain and hiking, I get wet. Either from the water outside or the perspiration inside. They always fail on me, especially after a couple days of getting wet. Forget about using them as a ground cloth. I usually expect rain/slow drizzle every morning, ‘corse, we just call it mountain mist in the ADK’s, not every day, but at least 50% of the time after the previous rainstorm. Funny, but WP/breathable always fails after being wet over night. The fabric stays wet, is no longer breathable, and it soaks through in 5 minutes or less. I thought the first one was defective, so I brought it back. The second time I brought it back I sprung over $100 for a good one. The third time I picked up a pair of shoes and gave up. They make a fair wind jacket. But so does my cheapo nylon/vinyl one.

I use up a nylon/vinyl one every 3-4 years. For short two hour storms, either will keep you dry, IFF the WP/breathable one starts out dry and it isn’t a heavy rain and you can get the local post man to hot foot it back to the manufacturer and back to you by morning, again. I can’t afford more’n a day waiting for it while I am out on a hike.

Returns? Guess what, there is no way, to return them on a hike. For some reason the local racoon always takes my package somewhere he can wash it before he try’s eating it. Of course this assumes he bothers to pick it up in the first place. He isn’t a vary reliable postal worker. He really should be fired because I have never had one delivered to the proper woodland address.

A $20 nylon/vinyl jacket always works (as long as the tape holds up.) Even a tear isn’t a real problem, because I can just duct tape it. Returns on a $20 item? Nope. After the fourth year it gets rather heavy with tape, though. Ventilate through the front by opening it across your chest. More than that would have overwhelmed the WP/breathable stuff, anyway.

Seriously, the WP/breathable fabrics all get overwhelmed by simple hiking in the rain. Not enough “breathable”. Look up Will Reitveld’s articles here. He compared several. Would you make your tent out of WP/breathable fabric? It HAS been tried. Look those up, too. (I believe Bibler/now Black Diamond, did one, for example.) Not trying to preach, just sayin’. But, I don’t believe WP/b’s would work biking through the tropics with rain for an hour or two every day for a couple weeks straight. Try it and report back here.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

that’s weird, I routinely use WPB for multiple days in the rain.  Maybe it’s wet at the end of the day, so it’s wet overnight under the tent, then I’ll put it on and as long as it’s not raining a lot and I’m not exercising when I put it on in the morning it’ll dry out quickly.

Pigeon
    BPL Member

@popeye

Hi, James, very interesting. How does that PVC coated material compare to Driducks, a lot more durable at similar weight surprises me. Are these nearly tear resistant as a goretex jacket or similar? Can you point me to a specific product you like? Maybe this offering on Amazon would be a good buy at $13 in grey, $8 in yellow…   https://www.amazon.com/Portwest-Mens-Classic-JacketChest/dp/B01EB95P9G/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

I’m looking for a backup/ car raincoat but I might just take it out hiking as well.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

folks …

if its just light drizzle, mist or warmer temps … just wear a fleece if yr moving

in such conditions the rain jacket is for when yr stopped …

once it gets to heavy COLD rain … thats when you start putting on the rain jacket on the move … and thats when the ventilation comes into play …

30-50F in extended heavy rain is where not having proper rain gear becomes dangerous

if you do want WPB …. then just buy OR … sooner or latter many of the 2.5L will start failing on you after a few years … just send it back and get a new one

BPL is littered with posts about delaminating/leaking rain jackets

;)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

If it’s drizzling, better to wear WPB and no fleece.  Then, when you’re stopped, you’re drier.

Of course it depends on all sorts of things and different things work for different people

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

you obviously dont sweat as much as a phat lazay AZN =P

anything decently sustained uphill (45 deg incline or higher) and 20+ LBs and ill be absolutely sweating in WPB no matter how little i wear under … even at freezing rain temps

in those conditions one gets damp from the inside ragardless

WPB work best when there are temperature and humidity differentials … ie cold and dry … in total humidity saturation or in warmer temps they dont work too well

;)

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Looks good to me, DC.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

While I like Marmot down gear I stay away from their WPB parkas/jackets, especially Precip, which has gained a reputation for delamitation. The TNF parka sounds OK.

Several years ago I got an REI  Kimtah eVEnt parka and pants on sale. Not the lightest but very durable.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

yeah, high humidity and warm temps WPB doesn’t work as well

I think people should try different things and see what works, but WPB works well for me

Front opening zip is critical under some conditions.  And lower hood when it stops raining for a bit.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

For backpacking I mostly use an umbrella now… but that doesn’t work on a bike.  For a long term bike trip I would likely go with eVENT.  Not sure why, but I typically haven’t had a problem with wetting out when biking thought I have regularly experience wetting out while backpacking.

The Gore-Tex Active with shake-dry is the most breathable WPB shell I have used.. I can even run in in during cool weather, but I doubt it would stand up to an extended trip.

Mark
    BPL Member

@gixer

As a cyclist, hiker and trail runner i would strongly recommend buying a cycling specific jacket, if spending hours cycling in the rain the cut and design of the jacket makes a huggeeeeeeeeeee difference.

Cycling jackets will have longer arms, as you arms will be forward.

Better wrist fitment, you don’t want the rain going up your arms.

Longer back section, get a cold wet lower back isn’t fun.

I tend to prefer rain jackets that don’t have a hood when on bikes, as i find if doing much above 10mph the wind will push the rain down and around the hood.

Better to get a jacket without a hood that has a good seal around the neck.

The members complaining about breathability must not cycling often, as in cooler weather the wind chill when cycling makes a MASSIVE difference, a lot of my cycling jackets are cheap and not very breathable, it’s rare i get much of a sweat up though as the wind chill and air movement around me makes it an entirely different proposition than hiking.

For road cycling i have a really old jacket that has a plastic type material on the front that’s not breathable much at all, but i has a more breathable material on the rear, it’s absolutely perfect for road cycling where speeds are higher so most of the rain hits my chest.

For MTBing my thinner trail running kit tends to work better.

In my opinion it’s absolutely pointless asking for a rain jacket for cycling on a hiking forum, you will be much better served on cycling forums, bikeforums net is usually a good resource.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools