Topic

Rain Gear Quest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Rain Gear Quest

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    David Brennan
    BPL Member

@daveashland

Continuing my quest for rain pants that meet my needs.  I’ve seen a number of models that come close, but none that hit on all counts:  waterproof/breathable, reasonably light (no more than 16 oz), relatively durable (sorry Frog Togs), zipper fly, size zippers at least 1/2 length, a functional waist drawstring or belt, and at least one exterior cargo pocket.  My search of BPL turned up nothing, so thought I’d open it up to the collective wisdom.  Your thoughts?

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Take a set of nylon pants and coat them with 20:1 mineral spirits and silicone caulk. This will tick all your boxes except breathable. IFF you get convertible pants,  they work pretty well in rain. On top of that, they are about 8oz of ultralight goodness.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Unfortunately, the features you want (pocket and zip fly), are not easy to find.  I have a pair of Taiga pants that have it all but I don’t use them for backpacking. They are heavy-ish (top end of your weight preference) but super tough.  I use mine for fishing and day hiking.
    https://www.taigaworks.com/products/summit-pants-3l-dryshell®-pro?variant=5198007959583

I would recommend Montbell’s Thunder Pass pants if you can do without the pocket.  Pretty tough material and only moderately heavy.  Great price too.

https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=1128637&gen_cd=1

That said, my goto rain pants for backpacking are Montbell’s Versalite rain pant (and jacket). Only about 10 oz. for the set, and they pack small (no zipper fly or pocket though).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools