Topic

RailRider Pants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) RailRider Pants

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

I’m considering getting a pair, or two, of the RailRiders. I live in a cooler climate although in the dog days of summer it is hot anywhere you go.

Andrew Skurka has written about the ECO-Mesh which he really likes. RR has recently introduced the Tradewind pant which is built based on the X-Treme design but has micro-pore mesh in 4 areas of the pant. It’s purpose is to provide ventilation in targeted areas. I like that it has the velcro strap at the bottom of the pants. Unlike the ECO which can be zipped and unzipped, the Tradewind panels of micro-pore mesh can not be closed off.

How do you think the Tradewind compares with the ECO-Mesh? Which would have greater appeal on the trail?

https://www.railriders.com/men-tradewind-pants-p-1122.html?cPath=104_110

https://www.railriders.com/men-eco-mesh-pant-with-insect-shield-p-837.html?cPath=104_110

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’m a huge fan of Eco-Mesh pants despite the awful, unsporty fit with a saggy crotch. The ability to catch an airy breeze is 8/10 as much airflow as wearing hiking shorts. I don’t think the “holey mesh” panels on the new pants would provide anything close to the breathability of the Eco-Mesh and they don’t have the ability to close up at night or when it’s chilly out.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I wanted to buy a pair of the Eco-Mesh, but the 34 inseam size only comes in a very large waist size. They look like a great option if you can get them in your size.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Been using the eco-mesh for probably 10 years. Great product. I don’t see that new product breathing as well as the eco-mesh. I also like that you can zip up the side of the eco-mesh trousers to eliminate ventilation if the weather changes.

@matthewkphx
    , A Gentleman’s Guide to Fitting Trousers, for your reading pleasure ;-)

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Yes, I realize the fit is traditional. I probably should have described the fit as extremely traditional. I don’t wear casual or hiking pants like traditional slacks. Despite that, I still like my Eco-Mesh pants. :)

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

The fit is baggy, a little MC Hammerish even, but I think that is one of the design features that makes them work.  If they were slim fitting I don’t think they would move as much air through the mesh.

@BradP – they do run long (or at least when I got mine in ‘11).  I wear a 32 pant and got a 30 inseam by (my) mistake and they are so long I am glad I didn’t get the 32.

Peter Lester
    BPL Member

@peterlester

I’ve hiked two JMTs in my Eco-Mesh pants. They do a great job of keeping the sun off while still being plenty cool on warm climbs. I’m a fan.

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

As I can see from the testimonials above, the Eco-Mesh has a very loyal following that has been earned over many miles. Here is what I like about the Tradewind vs the Eco:

1. The TW comes in a darker color and these pants will get filthy.
    2. The TW has a velcro strap at the pant bottoms. That can be helpful at times.
    3. The TW has double-layer nylon on the knees and seat.
    4. The TW pant legs are not billowy.
    5. The TW micro-pore isn’t large enough to allow a tick in.

Those are the advantages from my perspectives. Clearly the ECO provides better ventilation, is 2oz less weight, and can be zipped up when needed.

There is very little information or feedback available about the Tradewind pant.

Rawhide .
    BPL Member

@rawhide

Locale: Central Coast of California

I haven’t tried the Tradewind, but I wore a pair of the Eco-Mesh on my PCT thru in 2011, (see my profile pic) and I loved them. I wasn’t used to wearing pants, but they’re so light, I didn’t even notice them. They were even better than any review I read or what the RR website bragged them up to be. The mesh sides were just almost always open, and they were airy…the thin fabric actually took everything I threw at it: crawling over/under felledtrees on the trail, glissading down mountains, bushwhacking to water sources, sleeping in them, they dry super super fast. I still have them, 8 years later. I’m heading out in a few weeks to do a 650 mile thru of Ireland & decided to try out their ‘Bushwhacker Weatherpants.’

Without trying to sound like an advertisement, I love RailRider. :)

Grzegorz Przeorski
    BPL Member

@grzechu

Locale: Ontario

I’ve been using these for years;

https://www.sunprecautions.com/product/21300

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools