Topic

Rae Lakes Loop – Summer 2018

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Rae Lakes Loop – Summer 2018

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jameson T
    BPL Member

@jamesontisch36

Hello all,

I’m planning a trip to take my father backpacking the Rae Lakes Loop. It’ll be our first time out West and I’m very excited.

My question is when would be the best time to make reservations to try to avoid snow and bugs?

I was thinking early September – possibly around Labor Day Weekend as I’ll have off from work.

Our biggest concerns are to hopefully not encounter snow as I would not like to carry crampons or an ice axe. But also obviously the less bugs the better so trying to time it right.

Thanks!!

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

September is a great time.  The bugs should be gone, and snow usually doesn’t arrive in any volume until October.  BE prepared for cold nights, but that’s true in the Sierra in every month.   If you want to avoid people, the week AFTER Labor Day weekend is even better

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

August and September are prime time for the Sierras.

Generally, bugs have died down and snow has melted away and you are far enough from any winter snowfall.

As was mentioned before….be prepared for the possibility of cooler temps at night.

I would definitely figure on the occasional night of 28F-30F…..a warm night might put you at 45F?

A 30F bag and wearing layers should do you fine…..a 20F-25F bag/quilt would just be toasty.

Just check the conditions for water as this is (sadly) looking to be a dry winter. (In the Bay Area the temps have been 75F to 78F just this “winter” weekend with no rain in sight)

It is a great trip that you are taking and depending on when you go, there is a chance that you will run into JMT hikers.

Enjoy!

Tony

Brando Sancho
    BPL Member

@saudade

Locale: SoCal

I don’t have a ton of experience, but in early September last year, I experienced 15° overnight temps at 11k feet in the southern sierras.

I was was happy to have my Marmot Helium and not my Katabatic Chisos

Not a single mosquito seen the entire weekend.

—Brando

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools