Topic

Rae Lakes loop / SEKI / Bear spray needed?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Rae Lakes loop / SEKI / Bear spray needed?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    a_gunslinger
    BPL Member

@a_gunslinger

Any time they make me take a bear canister I wonder if I should take bear spray as well.  Im inclined not to.  Thoughts?  Thanks!

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Bear spray is illegal in SEKI. You won’t need it anyway.

Weapons (including, but not limited to, BB, Pellet and Paint Guns, Bow/Arrow, Slingshots, Bear Spray and other compressed gas irritant devices) are illegal to possess.

https://www.nps.gov/seki/faqs.htm

a_gunslinger
    BPL Member

@a_gunslinger

Thank you!  That’s the value of information.  My mind didn’t even go that direction.  So that saved me $50 and educated me!

jennifer r
    BPL Member

@ultrajen

I saw more bears on that loop than i’ve seen on other trails collectively. But they all ignored me and I got used to it. Eyes up and stop or reroute if you see a cub and a mama.

Phong D
    BPL Member

@poledancer

Once on the Rae Lakes loop I ran into a young bear.  It totally did not see me, so I sang “The Bear and The Maiden Fair” and it ran away like mad.

a_gunslinger
    BPL Member

@a_gunslinger

That either means human sounds work to deter them, or your singing is really really bad.  ;^)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools