Topic

Rab Siltarp 2 with Warbonnet Eldorado

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Rab Siltarp 2 with Warbonnet Eldorado

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I got a Warbonnet Eldorado to try out hammocking.  It might just be for relaxing as I’m not sure of I’ll be able to sleep in a hammock.

I currently have a Rab Siltarp 2.  Would this work well enough for the hammock?  When does getting a tarp designed specifically for hammocking become necessary, particularly one with doors.
    I’m a scoutmaster and we have some car camping activities coming up in the Spring where I might try this out, but will have my tent handy if it’s not working.

I’m thinking of taking advantage of Hammock Gear’s 10% off sale and getting an economy 40 degree underquilt.  I sleep a little cold, but at this time, don’t intend on using this in very cold conditions.

Does this sound like a good approach to trying out hammocking?

JR A
    Spectator

@jrallen

I sleep cold too and purchased a Hammock Gear economy 20 degree underquilt that worked great last fall. I am a bit heavier and taller than most and Hammock Gear custom made mine. Works great. You might also want to consider Goosefeet Gear down socks for sleeping if your feet get cold.

I have a late spring trip coming up. It is a section hike of the lower AT. I am planning to try 24″ Reflectix to see if it will work for warmer hikes instead of an underquilt. Basically, I plan to use it to cut the draft coming up from below.

Concerning your RAP Siltarp, I am not familiar with it.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Thanks, JR.  The Rab Siltarp 2 is a standard 8×10 silnylon tarp with a center ridgeline loop.

https://rab.equipment/us/guides-siltarp-2

I’m 6’3″ish and 200 pounds.  I do have Goosefeet Gear booties.  They are very nice.

JR A
    Spectator

@jrallen

I have a 8.5×8.5 silnylon with plenty of extra loops. I wasn’t planning to buy this size until I learned I was not properly hanging my hammock. I now have a structured ridgeline for the hammock to aid me in getting the perfect hang. When you do this right then my tarp or yours should cover the hammock well.
    I went with the smaller size for weight. My load was too heavy last outing. This time I’m being far more careful.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

How does that do with rain?  The hammock-specific tarps seem to come in 11 and 12 foot lengths.

JR A
    Spectator

@jrallen

You hang the tarp on the diagonal. Truthfully, I’ll answer that in a couple weeks.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Correct me if I’m wrong.  I’m not a hammock user (yet), but the way I understand it, most hammock tarps are hexagon shapes that measure 12′ across the ridgeline.  An 8.5×8.5 square tarp rigged as a “flying diamond” is also 12′ across the ridgeline.  However, since each side is only a triangle instead of a trapezoid, I feel like you’d have less coverage from wind blown rain and such.  Would that be a fair assessment?

JR A
    Spectator

@jrallen

Insightful thought Jeff,

I did significant study on the situation, and discovered experienced backpackers who suggested this size tarp for hammocks. When it came down to purchasing I decided on this size because, I am going for as close to ultralight as possible. My last trip my pack was 27 lbs. This short trip I’m hopeful for 15ish lbs (total weight that would be used on a longer trip).

I do not know how well it will work. My trip in a couple of weeks is only 2 nights. The purpose is to do a shake-down of the equipment I’ve purchased. I do have confidence in my research, and believe the tarp will work in most situations.

The key for whether it will work properly is the structured ridge line which allows the hammock to hang properly. I usually hang it too tight. An 8.5×8.5 is too short for a hammock hung too tight.

JR A
    Spectator

@jrallen

BTW: it only requires 2 stakes to hold down the corners than 4-6 stakes. This is another weight savings.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

That’s a pretty impressive pack weight for a hammock sleeper.  I’ve been looking at hammock setups and I’m seeing a weight penalty anywhere from several ounces to more than a pound, particularly compared to two people sharing a UL tent.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Another odd thing I’m seeing just in research with places that sell hammocks and hammock tarps and videos like Shugs is that they don’t usually use Linelocs.  Is there a reason for this?

I see things like the Dutchware wasp and lots of knots.  Tent and ground tarp users seem to more often use Linelocs.

Is it because you have to wrap the ridgeline cord around the tree and would then have to loop the line back through the Lineloc?  Just curious.

JR A
    Spectator

@jrallen

I went with the Dutchware Beetle Buckle. Actually had my mind set for another if their products but when I called and told them what I was looking for they suggested this.
    I prefer to tie knots (weighs nothing) and usually stray away from knotless fasteners, just my preference. The Beetle Buckle comes complete with everything needed to support you hammock, and it is “no knots”.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

@ OP

It is possible that all the BPL “hangers” are out for some early season backpacking. I have even seen snow campers in the Sierra Nevada sleeping in hammocks.  So you might try posting your question in one of the hammock forums. For example:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/152085-catenary-cuts

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

So you might try posting your question in one of the hammock forums. For example:

Joined yesterday and just got my approval to post email.  :)

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Excellent.

Bruce

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

JR A  – Thanks for mentioning the structured ridgeline.  I had to go and watch Shug’s video explaining what it was and how it works.   Something I’ll keep in mind when I start to experiment with hammocks.

JR A
    Spectator

@jrallen

Bruce,

Followed your link to the other forum. Thanks. In there I found some interesting info on Reflectix that is causing me to re-think my next adventure. Now looking for other options for an UQ

Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

You may find that your 8 by 10 is too big. If pitching on the diagonal you generally need to get the tarp ridge tight down to the hammock for more protection. The diagonal length of your tarp is more than twelve feet so that could be tricky. A lot of folk are using 9 by 6 in this format. Check out Kitsap Cowboy’s asymmetric tarps. He has them down to a fine art.

Dustin V
    BPL Member

@dustinv

Warbonnet’s hammocks are asymmetrical in one direction ‘head on the left’, so pitching an 8×10 tarp diagonally would be asymmetrical with more coverage on the short sides. Just be sure to match up the shorter sides to the head and foot of the hammock. I’ve gotten away with an 8×5 poncho over a smaller hammock, but just barely.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I ended up getting a tarp from Warbonnet. I enjoyed having it with my troop last summer in the Boundary Waters. 

Dustin V
    BPL Member

@dustinv

Oh, nice. Is that the MiniFly? I have that one and I really like it.

And did you like the Eldorado? That looks like a different hammock with a bug net.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Thunderfly and Eldorado. I’m a side sleeper and this was my first time hammocking. It was OK and better than tenting with the other adult.

That’s not a comment on the hammock but more on how I sleep. I think back sleepers are more likely to enjoy hammocks.

Dustin V
    BPL Member

@dustinv

I’m a side-sleeper, but in my WB I can’t roll completely to the side so I end up halfway turned. I sleep very well and it seems to be enough to keep me from snoring, so it works out. Nobody’s whacked me like a piñata for waking them up. So far.

Lee W
    BPL Member

@ltw

Locale: Mojave Desert

I’ve been using a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC for a while. Sides sleeper, turn from one side to the other all night. Sleep like a champ in the Warbonnet.

I’ve found that a little extra effort in getting the setup just right goes a long ways! Seems like their geometry works better for me with the foot end whipping at the base of my throat and the head end whipping at my bellybutton. That along with a propper ridge line tension and those dimensions, I sleep great on my side. If any of the three are off a little, I don’t sleep nearly as well, but still better than on the ground.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools