Topic

Rab Expedition Slipper and Rab Hot Socks Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Rab Expedition Slipper and Rab Hot Socks Review

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Emylene VanderVelden
    BPL Member

@emylene-vandervelden

Companion forum thread to: Rab Expedition Slipper and Rab Hot Socks Review

This gear review will cover two foot-insulation options from Rab; the Rab Expedition Slipper and the Rab Hot Socks. Both pieces of gear are lightweight options to add warmth to camp insulation, though they differ in terms of insulation level and type, materials, and intended use.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Those look delightful and toasty warm! I wonder, if you’re only wearing them at night in the shelter, if it wouldn’t make more sense to just get a small down blanket to tuck in at the foot of a quilt or sleeping bag? The blanket could be used for other purposes too – around the torso in camp, or inside a rain jacket. OTOH if you’re one of the folks with perpetually frozen feet, these slippers would be nice.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

Look toasty, but expensive for what they are. Also, in the “Product Access” the Rab sleep socks are listed as discontinued, but tie with the goosefeet product??? How does a discontinued product tie with a currently offered product in terms of product accessibility? WM Flash down booties are less than half the cost ($75), and the standard WM down booties are only $100, also highly available. Those would be the options I would choose, could we get a comparison to them?

John Conley
    BPL Member

@jchinthe-2

I’m not familiar with the Rab products since I’ve never owned/used them. I will make a suggestion for several alternate products I have extensively used and that definitely perform to perfection (and are considerably less expensive than the Rab prices of $175 and $65).

I urge anyone interested to take a look at the website Wiggy’s: https://wiggys.com/footwear/socks-liners-booties/

All the Wiggy’s products are lined with a proprietary synthetic insulation (Lamilite) that is impervious to moisture. If it gets wet, it doesn’t affect the warmth. It dries quickly (if worn in the sleeping bag), won’t absorb water or your perspiration and become compressed and useless. Several of the Wiggy’s bootie-style items also have a sufficiently durable sole to allow using them outside of your tent for night pitstops and so forth.  The prices range in between $25 up to $60 and there are five different variations in that price range.

Separately, although not intended for use in a sleeping bag, Wiggy’s also sells a great product called an Overboot. It’s a nylon insulated zippered cover with a rubber sole and is designed to pull on over hiking boots for added warmth in static circumstances (think stand hunters, or sitting around the fire in camp). These sell for $115.

(Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Wiggy’s, other than buying and being a convinced user of their products for over 30 years.)

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools