Topic

R.E.D.D bars

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Has anyone tried any of these R.E.D.D bars? I am considering buying a dozen chocolate mint and a dozen Salted Caramel . They are a bit pricey i guess, but not too bad and i do not mind paying for something that satisfies me and is fairly healthy.  Seems to be a good option to toss in my food bag when heading out on the trail..

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I was turned off when I saw they contained Palm Oil

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Palm oil may not be so healthy..

But these claim to have palm fruit oil..

I think there may be a difference.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Scratch that.. it is the same thing.

Guess just a fancy way of  selling something to make it sound healthier.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Both palm fruit oil and palm kernel oil come from palm trees, but there the similarity ends.

Palm fruit oil comes from the palm fruit, the orange flesh that surrounds the palm seed. About 37 percent of palm fruit oil is monounsaturated fat, 50 percent is saturated fat, and 9 percent is polyunsaturated fat (see below). Unrefined, palm fruit oil’s reddish or golden color indicates the presence of carotenoids, which the body converts into vitamin A. Most importantly, palm fruit oil is high in tocotreinols, a form of vitamin E. We use palm fruit oil over palm kernel oil because of its monounsaturated fat content and high levels of Vitamin E.

Palm kernel oil is extracted from the palm seed and has a fatty acid composition that is almost identical to coconut oil (see below), high in medium-chain fatty acids (i.e., caprylic, capric, and lauric acids) and with a total saturated fat content of over 80 percent.

Who knows . I copied that from a random site i googled about palm fruit oil…
    Im no dietitian..
    Anyone know the facts???

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I don’t do oils, any oils.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

They claim they are using “Sustainably Grown and Sourced Palm Oil” but a lot of  scientific studies I have read say’Sustainable palm oil’ may not be so sustainable after all and do just as much damage to the Rain Forest

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Can I suggest you buy ONE of each at first. It would be unfortunate having a crate full of the stuff if it turned out you didn’t like it.

Facebook promo:
    I am all about a healthy life style and Redd bars are made of Superfoods and no gmos which I love! I substituted the sugary protein bars with REDD because of all the health benefits they provide!
    I can’t help thinking ‘yuppie scam’ when I read things like this.

Cheers

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Can not buy single bars. Only by the box of 12 each. Or the sample variety box of 8. But unfortunately the only 2 flavors i would be interested in only come 1 each in that 8 box. The other 6?? Blah…

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

The fat content is >40%, which is to high for me to use for on-the-trail food.

They might be  OK for a sedentary dinner load, provided you like that sort of thing for dinner.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Ditched bars a couple years ago. Only eat “real food” now.

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

“Guess just a fancy way of  selling something to make it sound healthier.”

Yeah, like dehydrated cane juice.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Please update if you actually buy and try them. I need more quick snack type things, and I hate most all bars. I like Larabars and Picky Bars, but they are insanely expensive and I suspect if I eat enough of them, I’ll no longer want them. When I’m only going out for a few days, I just bring something from home and don’t worry about weight and calories. For longer trips, bars are convenient and last a long time.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

I suspect if I eat enough of them, I’ll no longer want them.
    Been there, done that, binned them.

Cheers

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I definitely will update when I try them.

I also recently tried the dark chocolate/ banana greenbelly bars. They are more like a meal replacement. Not terrible but not outstanding either.  Again, I prefer to cook my own food and eat fairly nutriciously  (spell check?) .. Even while out backpacking and camping.. But it is nice to throw a bar into the mix to supplement breakfast or lunch on the go.. Or even a hi calorie mid day snack. I just like having options..

Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

Been making a copy of RX bars for a while now. Egg white, dates, almonds and cashews plus a flavour. Wouldn’t want to live on them but like the low sugar taste.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

“Radiant Energy Deliciously Delivered”

If I’m full of radiant energy can I charge my phone?  Or will I keep my friends up at night because I’m glowing?

I want answers.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

If I MUST do a bar, I am partial to Bobo’s oat bars.  Simple, taste good, go down easy (particularly with a cup of coffee for breakfast) and can be found for $1.50 each (3 oz bar) if you look around. I’d say they are more like cereal and much less cliff/pro/lara-esque.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Yes!! I love the BoBo bars. Just tried 1 of the chocolate stuffed with peanut butter the other day. Soooo good. Even the regular ones are delicious to eat.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Bobo favs: Coconut, Maple Pecan and (strangely for me) Lemon Poppyseed…the lemon flavor and aroma is just right and very natural.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Curiously enough, the most reliable ‘energy bar’ I have found is … a small Mars Bar. One of the little ones that comes in a bag of 10 pieces or so. Much more reliable than some of the more gimmicky ones. A full bar is too much for this.

They are not a ‘meal bar’ of course, just an energy bar. If I want a ‘meal’, I will have a meal: home-made muesli for breakfast or something cooked for dinner.

Cheers

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools