Topic

Quilts for two and two for a quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Quilts for two and two for a quilt

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Idownman
    BPL Member

@idownman

Dear quilt lovers,

I own a single quilt, which I love and I am now tempted to buy a twin quilt to share with my partner. Has any of you ever combined a twin quilt with a single quilt on the top? That would potentially offer flexibility and save on cost (for those who already own a single quilt) compared to buying a very warm twin quilt, but not sure how it would actually perform…

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I think you will be unsatisfied with it, generally speaking, but it can work.

Depending on how low you expect the temps to be, it could leave cold spots. Unlike a wide quilt, it will not cover you completely. When either of you move or roll during the night, it will tend to slip loose unless you attach it. And, it will leave portions of your body open to poor insulation compared to the top. So, it becomes a matter of how low you plan to go.

The wife and I often use our 40F bags with a wide Revelation over that for colder October/November weather in the ADK’s. We use our pad couplers under us. Note that we use the bags as quilts, in most cases. We have easily managed 15-20F nights like that. But, there are a couple other things going on, too.
    1) Two bodies share warmth. You will be 10-15F warmer (or can go 10-15F lower) just as a couple. A lot will depend on how you sleep best with your partner. Check with the manufacturer to insure they did not already factor this in.
    2) We use a tent. A smaller two man, double wall tent will easily hold about 10F when occupied. I suspect more than that, but it depends on weather.

Cody Hallenbeck
    BPL Member

@cpach

Locale: Siskiyous and Sierras

My wife and I have a 0deg EE Accomplice and it’s pretty much the best thing ever for what it’s worth. She sleeps kind of cold and I sleep kind of warm and worrying less about her being cold is worth a couple ounces in addition to better versatility. In warm conditions you can just sort of use it casually like a blanket–I’ve never wished it was cooler (aside from when the weight would be more optimal). For what it’s worth every attempt I’ve had with pad couplers sucked; our Exped Hyperlite Duo is awesome, and I’m otherwise a lover of Neoairs for single use. I’ve never tried throwing my single quilt over the top for more loft–it’s not a terrible idea.

Idownman
    BPL Member

@idownman

thanks guys for your advices. I didn’t buy the 40 degree twin quilt and will try to score a 0 or 10 degree second hand one

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools