Topic

Kid Quilt questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Kid Quilt questions

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jesse Anderson
    BPL Member

@jeepin05

Locale: Land of Enchantment

I’m looking at making a quilt for my 8 year old this year and I have a few questions. I’m trying to keep costs down, but also make something nice for her. I’m thinking I’ll go with Apex 5oz. What I’m not sure about are the dimensions for a kid size quilt. She’s pretty average for her age (I can’t remember her exact height as I write this, I know she’s a size 10 in clothes). But I’m not sure how much wiggle room to give her as far as quilt width goes. Also if I do a drawstring foot on the quilt, how much length should I plan on losing there? I think I want it long enough that she can pull the quilt over her head if needed, for warmth and also to give her a couple more years before it will have to be handed down to baby sister.

I’d love to hear from others who have made kid size quilts.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

How about making it more of a full size quilt and letting her grow into it, or is weight the primary factor. If weight is not an issue she will get many more years of use out of it. Either way a little on the bigger side is better than to small.

Todd Stough
    BPL Member

@brewguy

I made my daughters similar in size to their kids sleeping bags.  44″ wide and I think 5 feet long roughly.  Give her some room to grow taller.  Give 6″ for the foot box.  If you wanted to be more exact it would be half the size you want the foot box to be.

Jesse Anderson
    BPL Member

@jeepin05

Locale: Land of Enchantment

Jimmy, my thought process was that If I made it a little big now, she could grow into it, then hand it down to her little sister. Then hopefully either my finances or my sewing skills will be better and I can make/buy her a nice down quilt.

Todd, that’s a great idea. I hadn’t even thought of checking the sizing on kids sleeping bags.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools