Topic

Quilt Fabric Choices

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Quilt Fabric Choices

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Bob Kerner
    BPL Member

@bob-kerner

I’m shopping for a 20 degree quilt. Goal is to control weight and packing bulk without making the quilt “stupid” light or so fragile that it falls apart under regular use. 950 fp down is my insulation of choice. I take good care of my gear and don’t abuse it. I’m in the northeast and, honestly, I’m mostly a fair weather hiker-camper. For use in a hammock but I think the discussion would be just as relevant in a tent.

10d and 7D are the two fabric offerings on my radar. The weight difference is maybe two ounces depending on which maker’s site I’m shopping. Pros, as I understand them, of 7D is that it’s lighter and packs smaller but a bit more delicate. Pros of the 10d is that it’s a bit more wind resistant and durable but a tad bulkier to pack.

Does anyone have experience with both fabrics? Please share your thoughts.

Is there any reason to mix and match; for example, 7D inner fabric and 10 D outer? I see EE offers this option.

Thank you.

Kelly C
    BPL Member

@drsolarmolar-2

I have a Hammock Gear quilt I bought a few years back (one of my first “big” backpacking gear purchases).  Did a 67 taffeta inner and 90 Ripstop outer.  Don’t know how that compares to the deniers you’re looking at.  I can tell you this though.  I love having the different fabrics because I can feel which is the inner vs the outer in the dark.  Makes it so easy to orient the quilt and slide back in correctly after a middle-of-the-night trip to water the bushes. Couldn’t tell you if the 7 and 10 D fabrics would give you a difference in feel.  They’re pretty close.  I do know when I order another quilt this will be high on my want list!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools