Topic

Quiet overnight near Condom MT/Glacier NP

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Quiet overnight near Condom MT/Glacier NP

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Scott Engles
    Spectator

@scottbham

I know this a bit late and a shot in the dark but, I’ll be near Condon, MT next week for a few days and looking for suggestions for a very quiet 1 or 2 night out and back trip. Anywhere within a few hours drive.  I have an ACL injury so nothing very steep or too many scree slopes. Emphasis on the quiet, and dog friendly, too (she’ll be leashed and I always have bear spray on my shoulder in MT). Thanks!

Scott Engles
    Spectator

@scottbham

Stupid autocorrect. Condon, MT.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Made me laugh – I was about to look for Condom MT on Google Maps when I saw your second post.  My brother-in-law lives in St. Ignatius in the Mission Valley (the next valley to the west) and I can reach out to him for some ideas if you don’t get any other suggestions.  I think he mostly does day hikes, but he might have some thoughts.  I’ll keep watching this post.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I emailed him but didn’t get much other than “He should just go to Glacier – it’s all amazing.”  I told him that I was concerned about the permitting requirements and he agreed that they can be a pain but said that if you’re going mid-week then you can probably get walk-up permits.  It’s a bit of a crime that in all the times we’ve spent time with him that I’ve never taken a couple of days to backpack in Glacier.  Maybe in the next year or two.

Good luck and sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

Scott Engles
    Spectator

@scottbham

Thank you! Really appreciate you reaching out. Unfortunately the park is off-limits with the dog. But I’m looking at some areas around the park, maybe Great Bear and further into the Bob.

John Klinepeter
    BPL Member

@johnzotk

Locale: Northern Rockies, USA

Cedar Lake is in the Mission Mtn. Wilderness about 15 airplane miles NW of Condon.  My first visit to Cedar was about 15 years ago; I revisited just a few days ago.  Both my trips were day hikes but this time I took notice of some good campsites just south of the lake.  It appears that it is used by horse packers.  We saw a horse group coming out as we were going in and we saw another inbound group of day riders going in as we were exiting.  A backpacking couple was coming out as we headed in.

It’s a very pretty area, not a tough walk.  We used the Fatty Creek Road to access the lake from the north.  It involves a 9 mile drive on mostly decent gravel road though there are some rough spots.  My 20 year old sedan had no difficulty.  A good map or GPS is useful for finding the trailhead as many connecting roads lead in different directions and not all of them are obviously signed.

Good luck and let us know what you finally choose as your destination.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I spent a week at Holland Lake a few years ago visiting relatives. My wife and I did several longish day hikes in the Mission Mtn Wilderness before moving on to Glacier.  It was much less crowded than Glacier.

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

If that’s an artificial lake, you’ve given a reservoir tip.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Just to be clear, Holland Lake is not in the Mission Mtns but about hours drive or so east of the Missions.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

This is the special protective gear you will need to climb that mountain:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools