Topic

Quick Puffy Recommendation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Quick Puffy Recommendation

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    John Papini
    BPL Member

@jpapini

Hello,

I thru-hiked the PCT in 2016 and haven’t stopped thinking about it since, so I’m going to do it again in 2019 with my fiancée this time.

In 2016 I used the Ghost Whisperer with hood for my puffy (Medium, 7.81 oz). It’s a little beat up though, so I’m looking to upgrade. I’d like something in a similar weight class category, and preferably a little warmer. It must have a hood. Any suggestions? Not worried about price as I am fortunate to be currently gainfully employed.

I’m looking at Montbell and they have a few offerings:

1.  Ex Light Down Anorak (6.2 oz); and

2. Plasma 1000 Alpine Down Parka (8.4 oz)

Can anybody offer a comparison of these Montbell items to the Ghost Whisperer in terms of quality/warmth, and also to each other? If the Ex Light is just as warm if not warmer than the Ghost Whisperer notwithstanding that it is lighter, I might go with that. I assume the Plasma 1000 is warmer than both. I’m also open to other suggestions.

Thanks!

Woodstock

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

I have the MB ExLight Jacket, Anorak, and Mirage. The Anorak is a nice step up in warmth from the jacket. Nearly perfect piece with my only issue being its non-adjustable hood. With enough volume to fit over a climbing helmet my bare head swims in it. I’ve issues keeping it on in wind and obstructing my view when I turn my head. The brim on a ball cap solves the view obstruction when turning my head but does not help keep the hood on in wind. I’ve considered having a volume tab adjuster sewed on but worry the thin fabric could be damaged. When I compared it to the Plasma 1000 Alpine the Anorak actually appears to have more loft than the Plasma! The Mirage is an UL furnace for deep cold weather and an amazing value when compared to Plasma 1000 Alpine.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Goosefeet Gear custom. You can get the same fill weight as the Montbell Plasma parka for about an overall ounce less (using 950fp) and will cost less too. You can customize to have more or less fill, fabric type, full or half zip, measured to your body, pockets as you like, etc.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I don’t know about the current Ghost Whisperer… but when it was first released, the Ex Light was slightly warmer and the Plasma was noticeably  warmer. Richard Nisley might have tested the jackets. You could search this site to see if he has posted iclo numbers for these jackets.

A slightly beaten up sounds perfect for the PCT… why age a new jacket when you have one with good memories.  Now if you said “very beaten up”, e.g. you are expecting it to fail, I can see the point.

As far as warmer… are you sure? Around 6 years ago I switched to a Western Mountaineering Hooded Flash. which is warmer than the GW, and I think would be a similar warmth to the current Plasma. The problem is that it’s too warm for me most of the time. I almost never zip it or put up the hood.  Late spring – early fall I end up bring my cheap Uniqlo Vest.

I am inclined to return to a less warm jacket and when it’s extra cold either go to bed earlier, or wrap my quilt around my like a shawl. For me, a shell + thermal weight capilene keep me comfortable below freezing when hiking hard.  If I replaced my jacket I would get a Patagonia Micro Puff Hoody, or something like your GH which uses DownTek.  I really like the suggestion of Goosefeet.  For me it would be tempting to get a hooded vest with removal arms but I have been trying avoid spending money on gear.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I got a jacket from Ben at Goosefeet – under 8 oz with 4 oz of down. Gotta be warmer than any of the Montbells. Really nice. Get one for your fiance – you’ll both be glad you did.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The Plasma 1000 Parka has 3.5oz of down versus about 2.5oz in the Ghost Whisperer (IIRC), plus the down is higher lofting, so yeah it would be nicely warmer. I used to own an Ex-Light and it’s put the warmth pretty close to the Ghost Whisperer.

I used the Patagonia Ultralight Down Hoody on the PCT which also has 3.5oz of down (albeit 850) and felt it was about right. It was overkill in NorCal/Oregon but I wouldn’t have wanted less in SoCal/Sierra’s.

John Papini
    BPL Member

@jpapini

Thanks for all of your advice! I ordered a custom puffy from Ben at Goosefeet Gear with 4.5 oz of 950 down fill, so it should be even warmer than the Plasma 1000 (3.4 oz 1000 fill) for a similar weight.

It’ll likely be a while before I receive the finished product, but I’m happy to report back once I receive my jacket!

FWIW, so far I’ve been very impressed with Ben; he spent a half hour talking to me on the phone and has been responsive to my emails and very patient overall as I tend to research and question things to death. I bought a pair of down booties from him in 2016, but that was an off-the-shelf purchase and I didn’t interact with him much.

If my jacket turns out well, I’m considering having him make me a couples quilt. My plan was to get an EE accomplice, but they won’t customize their work beyond what’s offered on the website. I’m 5’11 and am worried about a 72″ length, but think 78″ is too long. Ben can make it at 75″ while EE will not. Also, my mummy in 2016 was rated to 23 lower limit, and I want something warmer, but given that I’ll now be sharing body heat with my S.O. worry about getting a 10 degree. Ben will make me a 15 and EE won’t (they won’t even overstuff anymore).

If anyone has gotten a quilt from Ben and has any feedback or ideas for features, please share. My main concern is drafts around/between our necks, so especially interested to hear how y’all manage that and whether there is an anti-neck-draft feature in your couples’ quilt that I should ask to have built into mine.

Woodstock

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

^Similar great experience working with Ben on my recent half-zip anorak, custom to my body and needs and comes in a hair under 6 oz with 3 oz of 950fp.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

John: anorak or zip? Or half zip? I personally love a 1/2 zip or anorak, because I dread zipper failure. Also I run cold so by the time I put on a puffy in camp there’s never an issue with being too warm.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools