Topic

Quick plug for Skurka High Route tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Quick plug for Skurka High Route tent

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

I’m waiting to do a full review until I can actually use it out in the woods. But, was playing around with it in back yard today, during showers of “wintry mix” precip, and was really impressed by how clever the design is. With a very compact footprint, you get tons of interior room. When you lie down in it, you don’t have that “silnylon in my face” feeling that some mids have, and it seemed like my feet would be less likely to rub. All that and it’s pretty streamlined, except the two sidepanels… Pics when I get a chance.

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Also, it takes, and holds a very taught pitch without much fiddling.

Thomas Willard
    BPL Member

@tomw

Locale: Philadelphia

Can you weigh everything you need except for poles and report back? I’m seeing a few varying weights on the net. There is a nice YouTube review on the High Route from someone in Canada.

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Hey Thomas, the fly/outer is 23.5 oz, the inner net is 14 oz. That’s with all the cordage that came on it, without the stuff sack.

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

When the first batch of production arrived I got very geeky with a very accurate scale and came up with these numbers:

http://andrewskurka.com/2016/biggest-loser-sierra-designs-high-route-tent/

John – Are you really getting 23.5 oz for the fly with the cordage attached to it? I calculated about 22.4 (21.4 plus about 1 oz for the fly lines). Also, I was at 13.9 for the inner tent (13.4 + .5 lines).

Thomas Willard
    BPL Member

@tomw

I’ve been strongly considering this tent for my AT Thru but I don’t think they’ll be back in production before I leave next month.

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Yeah, 23.5 for the outer.

I also got 13.9 on the inner, rounded up… party foul! And, that includes the Night Glow. So, maybe there’s some variation in manufacturing Andrew?

Using a $15 Kinzi scale from Amazon.

FWIW, I will be cutting the lineloc adjusters off (not the ones on the corners, just the tensioners on the guy lines), they seem kinda wonky. And probably replace all the cordage with TripTease, it’s weird that all the cordage is not same diameter, and read somewhere that the cords that come with aren’t actually dyneema core.

This strikes me as a super tent for the AT – ventilation esp important in that muggy east coast weather. Happy to answer any other questions to the best of my ability.

Have used TarpTent Moment and Squall extensively, and dabbled with a DuoMid XL, like this the best for one person use. The usable interior space just can’t be beat. So accustomed to carefully sitting up so as not to brush against condensation,  lot’s of extra room in this one, but the footprint still super compact.

I might sew a small loop into the bottom hem of the biggest vertical sidepanels, to be able to stake one side if needed and get a little extra tension in heavy wind.

Andrew Skurka
    BPL Member

@askurka

The High Route is available again, as of Friday. This batch was air-shipped and should last a few weeks. A bigger shipment is arriving early-April.

I’m flattered that you are considering it for your AT thru-hike, and I think it would perform very well in that environment. However, it’s not the first shelter I would recommend for that purpose. For an AT thru you an afford to use a more niche shelter, notably a hammock. If each you you did a few trips in the East and a few trips in the West, and wanted one shelter for both, then the High Route would work well. But the flexibility of a hammock on the AT is unbeatable by any ground shelter.

More reading, http://andrewskurka.com/2016/buyers-guide-my-go-to-backpacking-tent-tarp-hammock-bivy-systems/

Thomas Willard
    BPL Member

@tomw

I used a Moment DW and switched to Altaplex halfway through the 649 miles of my AT attempt last year. Loved the Moment overall but I want more headroom this time. Loved the Altaplex for the height and length but something about it I can’t place my finger on with why I don’t like it.

I was considering the High Route because I like the versatility of using either of the components separately or together. The interior height and side walls are appealing. I do appreciate your candor. It’s one of the reasons I respect your opinion.

As of now I am taking my Nemo Hornet 1P which I’ve been using all fall/winter and find it a surprisingly nice traditional tent at 29oz. But there’s something about that High Route…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools