Topic

Questions about overhauling hydration system

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Questions about overhauling hydration system

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    lisa r
    BPL Member

@lisina10

Locale: Western OR

I’ve spent years using a 3L Platypus bladder with a Sawyer mini installed inline in the drinking tube. It always worked well for me and seemed like a great solution – no extra steps needed to filter water. As a hard-side backup I’d carry a 1L Nalgene. The Nalgene is also how I’d collect water before dumping it into the bladder for filter/drinking.

Much as I’ve enjoyed that system, I’m thinking about getting away from the bladder set up. My new UL pack is less spacious and doesn’t fit a full bladder as well as my old pack. Also, I’ve realized that other set ups could save me a bunch of weight.

Based on my research I’m leaning towards carrying a 2L Playtpus Platy bottle, 1 Smart bottle, and rather than filtering going with AquaMira drops (usually I’m drinking clear mountain water that doesn’t have much, if any, sediment).

My question is, for those of you who use a similar set up, how do you fill up your bottles? Both the Platy and the Smart bottle have small mouths that I’d imagine make filling up not super easy, nor pouring from one to another. Or am I worrying unnecessarily? Based on history, I’d expect to be filling my water from gushing streams, small trickles, and the occasional lake. With the Nalgene, it was always a simple, quick scoop and go…

And then for those of you relying on AquaMira drops, curious if you’ve got any special process or set up for how you treat your water that would help get me started.

Thanks!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I skip the bladders completely and use 1.25 L fizzy water bottles. They weigh 38 g complete and last for years, and they DON’T leak, ever. Four of them will provide enough water for a high (ie waterless) camp quite easily.

As for filling one through the very small, moth: no problem. I scoop up water in my 1.5 L Ti pot and pour it into the mouth of the bottle. I rarely spill more than a couple of drops. It is even easier using a plastic cup (coffee!).

Cheers

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

I use repurposed small-mouth bottles. To fill, I took a 16oz bag that came with one my Sawyer filters and cut the top off to make a scoop. Works well, weighs about 9g.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

and don’t overlook a Steripen.

I rarely carry more than a half liter of water if possible; far less if I drink up and know the next source is in a reasonable distance. Water is heavy! I remember seeing a group come into camp carrying nearly full bladders in their packs. Their route followed a major river for most of the way…???

I carry an empgty large wide mouth soft Platypus to fill in camp; otherwise a light bottle that I use with a steripen during the day. And aquamira or Iodine for backup. I carry the steripen in a small belly pack along with map and lunch for easy access.

No clogs or waiting more than 90 seconds.

R
    Spectator

@autox

I’ve used small-mouth platypus bladders for years.

Something that can make filling from a small stream easier is digging a hole in it and waiting for it to clear, creating a deeper pool to dunk in.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Like jscott, I’ve switched my focus from base weight (iodine tablets) to pound-miles and use a SteriPen since there’s always water around (here) – why carry ANY?   Others have 1 or 2 or 3 pounds of water, tapering down to 0 pounds if they time it perfectly as they arrive at their next water source.  I have 0 pounds of water and a 2.5 ounce SteriPen.

So I score gatorade bottles (because the SteriPen fits in it so well) at the recycling center, always hike with an extra lid, sometimes adapt an extra lid to a shower head and then have other soda bottles along if there’s any aspect of a water haul or dry camp ahead.

Filtering at water sources as needed could also achieve a similarly low, incurred pound-miles.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronmcd

I bought a couple bottles of Bai antioxidant water. They come in a bottle almost identical to a smart bottle but with a wide mouth.

I also use the evernew bags. They fit the filter so I can use one in case my sawyer bag springs a leak. I have a 2L and a couple 1L versions to mix and match as needed for the trip. They are very light and roll up pretty small.

I really don’t mind a narrow mouth though, because I filter into my bottles. I use the bottom half of a coke bottle for a dirty water scoop.

For camp I also use a sea to summit nylon 10L water bag.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

>> Bai antioxidant water
    Contains added selenium.
    ‘The most serious toxicity symptoms are neurologic problems. A condition called Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, also called ALS or Lou Gerig’s disease, is particularly linked to selenium poisoning- although any range of neurologic problems could be due to selenium toxicity.’
    https://www.easy-immune-health.com/selenium-overdose.html

I hope you bought them for the bottles and not for the water.
    Yet another screaming health fad/idiocy.

Cheers

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronmcd

Well I drank the water, but really just wanted the bottles.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools