Topic

Questions about Cameras / Video for podcast?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Questions about Cameras / Video for podcast?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Marshall
    BPL Member

@andrewsmarshall

Locale: Tahoe basin by way of the southern Appalachians

Hey ya’ll! We are recording a podcast episode about cameras (photo and video). What topics / gear / questions would you like to see covered? Hit me up on here or at [email protected] or [email protected]

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

I mostly shoot video, so these suggestions are limited to that format…

With the high quality of modern consumer cameras in terms of the video they can shoot, the biggest difference I see between amateur and professional video is how stable the shots are. Maybe talk about strategies for shooting very smooth video, both in terms of equipment and how to hand hold.

Edited videos are usually made up of very short clips (2-4 seconds); shorter than folks generally assume when they are filming. And the ratio of raw footage to what is actually good enough to use in the final edit (i.e., compelling, interesting, high quality, smooth, advances the story, etc) is often 10:1. Keeping these things in mind can be useful and could be explored.

‘Rules’ of composition apply to video too.

Cycling through a variety of types of shots (e.g., zoomed in animals, wide angle scenics, walk-past set shots, macros, POV moving shots, etc) is far more interesting than a video of just one type of scene over and over.

I normally don’t sweat the audio quality since my videos rarely feature dialog, but recording decent audio is a whole other can of worms.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Waterproofness, shock resistance, battery life.

Memory capacity (i.e. minutes of recording time).

Ease of download.

Ease of on-device editing (something to do in the tent on a rainy day).

Cost and availability of extra batteries and different lenses.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools