Topic

Question on Costco down throws

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Question on Costco down throws

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

For those who own them, what temp rating would you put on them. Trying to get an idea of the fill.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

55f/60f.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

That’s about right.

Although a double layer could get you to 30-35.

I’ve made about 60 quilts out of these. I’ve also made a few double layer ones for kids and they have been comfortable to 35 without pushing its limits.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I have one that I use on my bed at home, under a quilt or on top, depending on how cold it is. Just great.

I couldn’t imagine using one alone outdoors on a backpacking trip in the mountains out West. It’s not that warm.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

Thanks everyone.

Joe
    BPL Member

@typicalsloan

Locale: New England

Since it’s a two pack from costco has anyone tried adding the down from one quilt to the other? Curious if this would get me to around 40-45 degrees.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

It is not really worth moving down from one to another due to the stitch through construction. My wife and I use these on Trans Atlantic flights and have them as a backup in our camper and for road trips.

For the weight a  40f Synthetic quilt is better for backpacking.

IVO K
    BPL Member

@joylesshusband

Locale: PA lately

Just wanted to chime in with a reminder of something I have shared elsewhere on these forums – I have one, modified by Aaron S to a quilt for my backyard overnight hammocking, and it has consistently shown a very poor breathability. I can judge this pretty well, comparing it to 4 other down quilts and 2 synthetic ones.

I can reasonably speculate that combining two of these for lower temps would result in a sauna. YMMV of course.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools