Topic

Quail and bobcat

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Other Activities Quail and bobcat

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

This little guy is the covey sentry, both sounding the alarm and telling the cat off a bit.

Seemed like a cool capture to me :)

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Do both male and female tend the chicks?  i.e. is there another parent with the chicks while this one keeps watch?  Or is this an covey of adults with one bird on sentry duty?

I usually try not to disturb them, but it’s interesting to watch the parent fake a broken wing and try to lure you away if you are heading towards the chicks.  The closer you get to the chicks, the bigger the show they put on – sort of reverse of children playing “hotter / colder”.  Then, when you’ve be led away, they explosively take flight and glide to cover (away from the chicks).

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I think the covey has males  and females and all look after the chicks. In this case there are currently no chicks that I have seen but only a covey of about ten adult quail. At least that is what I have seen on that camera earlier and later that day and since then too.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools