Topic

“Putty” to fill in tree carvings?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Environmental Issues “Putty” to fill in tree carvings?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Marcus
    BPL Member

@mcimes

I obsessively erase grafitti from the trails I frequent.

One form of vandalism I haven’t tackled yet are carvings in the bark of trees, usually initials, often about the size of your fist.

I am looking for suggestions for a spreadable putty which I could cover carvings with.

I’m thinking something flexible like a brownish-gray siliconized caulk or similar. Is there a product specifically for this? Or can You think of a product that would work well for this application? Weight doesn’t matter, most of the carvings are within 3 miles of a trailhead.

Thanks in advance!

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

My understanding is that applying a sealant or paint to tree bark damage can inhibit the natural healing process. So while your heart is in the right place, you could possibly harm the trees by filling in carving with foreign matter.

jj
    BPL Member

@calculatinginfinity

its not good to mess with the trees healing/scarring process. maybe preventative education like a leaflet on LNT which specifically addresses the issue printed and left at the trailhead will make some folks think twice

Marcus
    BPL Member

@mcimes

Ah, bummer, ok. I’ll let things heal naturally then.

I’ve been meaning to get some signs made, but reference the police and forest service instead of LNT. The delinquents who frequent this area don’t care about rules. But I have been rather successful scrubbing grafitti and cleaning trash to the point the condition of ~1.5 miles of mountian stream has substantially improved. The tree carvings are one of the last traces of hooliganalery I’d love to erase but apparently isn’t in the cards.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

You might contact an actual arborist… tree surgeon… they sometimes cut out infected wood and fill it with something… but I doubt it would be putty.. and you might need to sterilize the wound with something…

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

Filling the carving “in” with a foreign material will just make it stand out all the more. You’re better off slicing the initials off the surface.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

yeah, cut out the initials so it looks natural

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

If you’re cutting, sterilize the instruments and the wound… or you could be introducing a bacteria that could kill the tree.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools