Topic

Put Up Your Dukes!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Put Up Your Dukes!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Rick W
    BPL Member

@rw362436-2

https://caltopo.com/m/1P58

When the tent pole snapped on my brand new BA Fly Creek UL2, it was a blessing in disguise.  I was overly optimistic thinking that I could fit in that little tent with Duke, my 115 lb (all muscle) German Shepherd.  Luckily I brought a backup tent in case it was too small, since we were camping by the trailhead the first night.  Duke must’ve thought the same thing, as he was excitedly running around camp, snapping tent poles.  (In case you were wondering, Big Agnes has an excellent repair and replace policy.  Now if they could just get around to designing 2 man tents that could fit 2 men in them…)

After a visit to Mammoth Brewing Company for dinner (great place to start a trip) and a good night’s sleep, we set off on the Duck Pass trail.  We’d then hop, skip and jump on the JMT, and eventually end up where our second car was parked, at the McGee pass trailhead.

Duck Pass TH

Ryan and Darren are great backpacking buds, but having Duke along was a special treat.  He was built for this!  He has boundless energy and is in his element when he’s hiking.  Nothing really makes him happier than being out in the mountains.  And with his own pack, under 10 lb base weight, I think he qualifies as “super ultra-light”.

Above Barney Lake

The first stretch of the hike was along Mammoth Creek, which had a gentle slope and a lot of friendly day hikers.  It’s hard not to be in a good mood when you’re out here.  The scenery was outstanding, but after getting over Duck pass, the crowds cleared, and it was backpackers only.

Above Cascade Valley on the JMT

After getting around the massive Duck Lake, we joined the John Muir Trial and got hit with some light rain, but still had great views across Cascade valley.  Duke’s coat can handle it, so he didn’t mind, and neither did the rest of us.

We ran into a group who’d never backpacked before, and they were doing the John Muir as their first trip ever!  They looked like they were having more fun than anyone on the trail, so maybe there’s something to it diving in the deep end.  Hike your own hike, right?  The trail continued around Purple Lake, and to our camping spot at Lake Virginia.  One funny thing about Duke, is that he always positions himself at the campsite (or our house) somewhere where he can keep an eye on all of us from one spot.  It must be bred into shepherds.

Rin Tin Tin’s got nothin’ on this magnificent beast.  At Virginia Lake.

Full disclosure: Duke loves people, but not other dogs, so he wears a muzzle to make sure nothing bad happens to other dogs.  He’s well trained, but if an off-leash dog runs up to him, all bets are off.  I went with the Hannibal Lecter muzzle because it’s easy to see from a distance, and makes people with other dogs give him more space.  Sometimes I take it off for photo ops when I know there are no other dogs around, but otherwise it stays on.

Always on alert.  And so is Duke.

Lake Virginia was a fun camping spot, but got a little dewy where we set up, and we woke up to everything covered in frost.  Though once the sun hit us, we were rejuvenated.  We let the tents dry off and then hit the trail.

Descending to Tully Hole, with McGee Pass in the distance, to the right of the second peak from the left

Once we got down to Tully Hole, we hit the only real climb of the trip, with a 2,700 ft gain up to 12,200 ft.  It was a good climb, but not steep.  It broke off from the JMT, so we had it all to ourselves.  Upper Fish Creek had a beautiful meadow, and true to its name, some fish.  Ryan caught a small trout, but it wasn’t big enough to eat.

A tasty morsel? Not today

Duke, watching a live stream. North of Tully Lake

Once we got above tree line, it was time for Duke to don his booties.  Despite it being the latest high fashion from REI, and matching his pack, he didn’t want to keep them on.  But the rocky terrain we were hiking on was starting to tear up his soft, city paws, so they weren’t optional.  A little duct tape took care of that and we were soon catching our breath atop the pass

Atop McGee Pass

OK, OK, maybe not ALWAYS on alert!

After McGee pass, it was all downhill from there.  We set up camp at Big McGee Lake, and hung out.  I can’t even remember if it was windy, or cold, or infested with mosquitoes.  All I remember is having a great time with Duke (and him snoring in the tent).

At Big McGee Lake, pondering the best route over Hopkins Pass

Why walk, when you can swim?

Duke only has 1 fear, and that’s crossing bridges.  Whether it’s a narrow log, or wide cement, whether it’s 1’ off of solid ground or 10’, it gives him the willies.  If he could ever do the Rae Lakes Loop, he’d turn into a little Chihuahua at the sight of the Woods Creek Bridge.  So, given the option, he’d rather go swimming.  However, if you google the traits of a German Shepherd, loyal and courageous will be at the top of the list, and Duke is no exception.  That’s why despite any fears he has, if I ask him to go over a bridge, he’ll still go over it.  Which is a good thing, ‘cause if I had to carry him, we’d both end up in the drink.  So, when crossing by water wasn’t an option, he toughed it out and crossed it like a champ.

The rest of the trip was an easy downhill walk to the trailhead, with changing scenery from rocky sub alpine, to sage covered slopes.  The sun was behind us, and fried my calves, but it was great trip.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Nice TR and it’s perfect that you always have a hiking buddy nearby…When did you do the trip?

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

Great report!  I’m with you on the tent issue, too: my puppy is now eight months old, 105 pounds, and showing no signs of stopping.  No idea what we’re going to do for shelter for her on the trail!

Rick W
    BPL Member

@rw362436-2

Kevin – Thanks!  Yeah, he’s always ready to go.  This was 4 summers ago if I remember correctly.  I’m just planning new trips and thinking about old ones as we’re in the middle of winter now.

Bonzo – Wow, you’re gonna have a monster on your hands!  What breed is he?  The ZPacks Duplex ended up being a great choice for me and Duke.  Ultra light and lots of floor space.  Duke likes to lay out and take as much real estate as he can, and there’s still enough room

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

Bonzo – Wow, you’re gonna have a monster on your hands! What breed is he? The ZPacks Duplex ended up being a great choice for me and Duke. Ultra light and lots of floor space. Duke likes to lay out and take as much real estate as he can, and there’s still enough room

She’s half Pyrenees, and half Central Asian Shepherd: the latter makes the former look small, by comparison.  She loves to stretch out when she sleeps, but if it’s cold she’ll curl up into a rather sizable crescent roll…but in either configuration she takes up a ton of room!  The Duplex might work if there was nobody else involved, but my favorite girl likes to go hiking with me as well, and she might take offense to the dog getting tent-space over her. 😉

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

Locale: On the switchbacks

Thanks for sharing! Enjoyed the read and the photos.

Also, now I’m salivating for for MBC beer… not sure it’s any better than the local micro brews, but it always tastes pretty remarkable, after a few days of backpacking!

… wait, you know what? I did the same route you did once, except in reverse; I did it as a day hike, but when I finished at the Duck Pass trailhead, I kept going–I jogged through Lake Basin, straight down Lake Mary Rd to MBC, where my wife picked me up (a well-earned pint or two later).

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Nice report, beautiful pup. I hope to take my new pup backpacking after some serious training. Not sure I’ll ever be able to let her off leash though.

Rick W
    BPL Member

@rw362436-2

Adam – you’re just showing off now.  Definitely went in the right direction on your marathon day.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools