Topic

Puffy suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Puffy suggestions

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Kevin G
    BPL Member

@kguzda39

Locale: New England

I picked up a well reviewed Black Diamond Belay Parka (200g) insulation. I’m still going to add a down option such as the Mirage in my arsenal though..

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Have you ever had to do an overnite emergency bivvy before?

If you haven’t then you might find it worth your while to give one a go in your backyard or local area.

Martin D
    BPL Member

@natlife

I have a sierra designs parka from 20 years ago. 22oz, sewn through, 850 down with delicate fabric and zippers so a fair fill weight I’m sure. Sized to go over my shell.

It’s been with me on two February 3-day presi traverses, Katahdin in February twice as well, half the adk 46 as overnights. I had it down to -15f. I never had a need for something warmer.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

I have a sierra designs parka from 20 years ago. 22oz, sewn through, 850 down with delicate fabric and zippers so a fair fill weight I’m sure. Sized to go over my shell.

I never had a need for something warmer.

I think the operative words there are the ones I highlit in bold, nothing worse than trying to cram a poofy down jacket inside a slim fitting hard shell; especially if taking off the hard shell to do so makes you cold by exposing you to a biting wind

Kevin G
    BPL Member

@kguzda39

I ended up getting  a Montbell Alpine Down Parka and a Black Diamond Stance parka as my two heavier insulating or “ belay pieces”. If it’s forecast to be wet and stormy I might bring the Black Diamond as it’s synthetic, otherwise the Montbell will be my go to option..

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Kevin – I think you will be quite happy with the performance of your Montbell choice.  It looks like the Alpine Parka is a new model that offers similar warmth to the Mirage at a lower price and higher weight.

I find Montbell’s Down Insulation Chart graphic to be both very helpful and very accurate. I have previously owned a Superior Down Parka and currently own both the Plasma 1000 and Alpine Light Parkas. I find the Plasma and Alpine Light parkas to be nearly identical in warmth, as the chart indicates, and the position of the Superior in the chart aligns with my experience.

Kevin G
    BPL Member

@kguzda39

Thanks, I did go with the Alpine👍

Kevin G
    BPL Member

@kguzda39

Thank you. Yes, there was an email with a chart comparing all of their down jackets and the Alpine down was on par even slightly warmer than the Mirage so I went with that, plus had a nice look to it so it can do double duty even on cold days around town.. That chart was super helpful..

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools