Topic

Protrail Li or DCF The One better in bad weather?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Protrail Li or DCF The One better in bad weather?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

Just like the title says, I’m wondering about anyone’s experience with both these shelters in adverse weather conditions (rain, hail, wind). I am thinking about getting a new shelter and want something that packs fairly small, weighs ~1 pound, and is reasonably secure in most 3-season Rocky Mountains and Sierras conditions. I’m also happy to entertain other suggestions of other shelters that meet my criteria.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

Protrail Li or DCF The One better in bad weather?

The Protrail “Li” model is DCF (Dyneema).

Were you wanting to know the Protrail Silnylon version vs. the Protrail Li (Dyneema/DCF) version?

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Both are pole supported and non-free standing.  The stakes must stay or use the rock method. With the Protrail make sure you attach the side tabs to pull out the walls fully.  Even without the sides staked, was able to completely turn 360° inside …  at 6 ft tall (ymmv – didn’t have my sleeping pad inflated yet.   The other difference is side vs front opening.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

You might look at Yama Mountain Gear’s DCF Cirriform Min Tarp.

I like this tarp because of the flexibility to use it as a front or side entry. Also I like the modular approach which allows me to pair it with a bivy or use it without a bivy depending on the trip. I don’t have a net tent but that’s an option too.

I have been in heavy rain in mine and can vouch that it provides excellent weather protection. YMG’s bug bivy has a deep bathtub that offers lots of splash protection. I have not been in heavy winds in mine but I expect it sheds wind well given its small profile and the ability to pitch drum tight with ease.

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

I liked DCF for the weight, but not the packed size. I also don’t like shelters that require a ton of stakes to be stable. I currently have a TT Moment DW. It’s great, but it’s a bit heavier than I’d like. I know the Notch Li is a very similar design utilizing trekking poles rather than an arch pole, but it’s also a wee bit heavier than I’d like, and I don’t like the packed size of the pitchlock ends.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools