Topic

Professional Clothing Modification Services Contacts?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Professional Clothing Modification Services Contacts?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Brent M
    Spectator

@brentmando

Hi guys,

Curious if anyone out there knows people making custom hiking clothes or able to modify existing garments? Like cottage industries? I would like to add mesh panels to hiking pants for breathability and find it annoying that these aren’t readily available from major clothing manufacturers already for hiking. I like wearing pants for obvious reasons, but I get too hot, to often. I need them for the SW desert and CO mountain hiking. I know Railriders do have a pair that meets my description, but the pictures of them look like balloon pants. Thanks for any suggestions!

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

Not a direct answer, but I have gone to wearing a kilt in hot climes.  I have been wearing this hiking “skirt” for some time now and I love it.

https://lightheartgear.com/products/hiking-skirt-with-pockets

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

You could try Santa Cruz Gear Repair or Repair Lair. Check their instagram accounts for lots of examples of their work. Both of them (I think they’re both single person shops) have worked on Patagonia’s Worn Wear truck.

Brent M
    Spectator

@brentmando

I do a lot of desert hiking off-trail around all kinds of things that can stick you, so I don’t think a kilt would work for me. Also, I’d like to wear these pants for mountaineering-lite and I’m afraid I’d give people a show when my kilt flies up in the wind…lol.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

If you can source the mesh and know exactly what you want done to an existing pair of pants, why not try your local dry cleaning shop with an on-site seamstress/tailor?  Or a standalone local tailor shop?

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

A lot of Scandinavian brands make pants with zip vents, and they tend not to have a balloon like fit.  Kuiu (maker of hunting clothing) also make pants with zip vents that cross over well to backpacking and hiking.

I can’t remember if the Montane Terra’s have zip vents or not (UK brand) but they have a very slim fit…If you’ve got thin legs they will fit you.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Yes, Terras have zip vents down the outer thigh. But not mesh covered.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Ex Officio Sandfly pants. Lighter than Railriders, much more comfortable, and not balloon pants. But the mesh is always ‘there’, no zip closure.

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

Try Rainy Pass Repair in Seattle.  They do excellent work, and have done several mods for me.  They’re not cheap, but they have a lot of experience and do excellent work.

http://rainypass.com/

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Do a search for local seamstresses. Adding mesh to hiking pants wouldn’t be a difficult job. There should be someone who could do it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools