Topic

Prismnet 2.0 – SUL bug net for A frame tarps

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion Prismnet 2.0 – SUL bug net for A frame tarps

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

This the latest iteration of my full length bug net that’s shaped to fit under an A frame tarp.

Weighs 4.7 oz and is made out of .67 noseeum from Dutchware  (except for one end piece which is 0.9 oz, so as to provide more durability at the head end for entry and exit. Adds about 3 grams). The net measures 30″ high, 40″ wide and 6′ 5″ long. Features 4 corner tieouts.

I went with corner seams on this latest prototype. Provides for a more taught pitch. It took a lot of trail and error to figure out how to cleanly attach the peaks of the end pieces to the panels. Bomber strength was my number one concern, so the ridgeline is folded, pinned and ironed 3 times and then sewn twice. I also folded hem tape between ridgeline layers. Corner seams are 8 layers thick and also sewn twice. A lot of time was involved in this project..

For this pic I put the ground sheet UNDER the under flaps so you could see them. Of course when using the net the groundsheet would go OVER the under flaps. It’s not 100% ant proof, but it’s close. Costs about $32 in supplies to build this net (nearly 16 hours labor!).  I’ll post entry an entry and exit pic in the next post.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

After getting inside of the Prismnet all one needs to do is place a rock in the corner pocket. Works great. Don’t need a zipper! Just adds weight.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Looks nice Monte and nice weight. Agreed that zippers aren’t really necessary and just add weight.

“Weighs 4.7 oz and is made out of .67 noseeum from Dutchware  (except for one end piece which is 0.9 oz, so as to provide more durability at the head end for entry and exit.”

Just a quick note about the highlighted portion of the above.  It will only add durability if the corresponding .9 mesh is also nylon.  A lot of the .9 stuff that i’ve seen though, is actually made of polyester.

Hence, you’re probably not getting any significant durability over .67 nylon mesh.  Nylon is not only lighter than polyester per volume, but stronger per same weight and volume.  It also has more innate stretch, which with mesh is a durability advantage.  Polyester mesh is more apt to more quickly and easily snap break than nylon mesh.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Great simple design, Monte!  I like the floorless, zipperless idea.  30″ peak height would be too low for me, as I want to be able to sit up in any shelter, but for your target group it’s probably not a problem.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I like the rock pocket idea.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

This looks awesome :-)

John DeMorris
    BPL Member

@bulwyf

Locale: West TX

That’s a neat DIY Monte.  Thanks for sharing.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

I appreciate the good word guys.

I started making these nets (my 8th prototype) because I couldn’t find anything like them for sale on the internet. In a recent BPL thread however, Gary Pikovsky made me aware of the new Sea to Summit Escapist Bug Net which weighs 4.9 oz and is similarly shaped, but it is considerably larger than the Prismnet.

(Not a good quality pic, but here goes)

When I posted the original Prismnet here on BPL last winter, 5 people e-mailed me asking to buy one, though at the time I wasn’t satisfied enough with the net to in good conscience sell them. Even though the new version is up to par, I unfortunately can’t yet make them fast enough for it to be a viable endeavor.

William McCaffrey
    BPL Member

@wmccaffreygo-pasadena-edu-2

Hi Monte, this design is awesome. Since your last post, have you given any additional consideration to making these for sale? Or would you be willing to share the design? I’ve recently converted to camping with tarps and would love something like this to have in my kit.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Thank you William. It’s ironic that you brought this net up because I was just getting ready to order some .67 oz noseeum. Over the past few years I’ve figured out how to do the ridgeline and corner seams a lot faster, however, I now reinforce every corner with 0.9 oz noseeum triangles, so the time is still significant. Since this thread 6 years ago I have made and extensively field tested about 7 different A frame nets and large bug bivys. I’ve learned how to fortify them to withstand solid pulls on the 2 ridgeline and 4 corner tieouts (always with 3/32″ shockcord). That’s what allows for a taught pitch and keeps the netting from touching the occupant.

Here’s a similar net I made last year with 0.5 oz noseeum panels and .67 oz for the perimeter ground skirt and front/rear triangles. Not quite a perfect prism, rear is a tad smaller than front.

And I went with a 2 zipper front entry, one horizontal across the bottom and another angling down one side with both meeting in lower right corner., I’ve found the extra 0.7 oz of #3 YKK zipper is well worth the weight penalty. 4.8 oz total. The rock pocket seems simple and weightless, but in real world use it gets to be problematic. Pic below with .7 mil polycro on top of noseeum under flaps. This net is a tad smaller than the Prismnet.

But I find the 0.5 noseeum just too tedious, time consuming and difficult to work with and be profitable. That’s why I’m going back to the .67 oz to use for making nets to sell. A Prismnet with front-zip entry will come in at around 5. 6 oz. I’ll have one ready in about a month and then I’ll let you know.

I could also make a Prismnet with 0.7 oz Monolite which is very strong and durable, but it cost double ($8.50 per yd). So the whole net would cost $30 more. https://ripstopbytheroll.com/products/0-7-oz-monolite-ripstop-nylon-mesh

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

wondering, is the monolite easier to work with than the other net options?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I don’t sew but I do have a stuff sack made from Monolite and it’s stiffer than other lightweight netting fabrics. I suspect that means it’s easier to work with.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

After working with the 0.5 oz noseeum over the past few years, .67 netting seems easy by comparison. I’m sure the Monolite is even easier to sew, but it won’t stretch as much and believe it or not that won’t allow for as taut of a pitch. However I think the Monolite would be great as perimeter skirt netting (which touches the ground) and the rest of the net made with standard .67 noseeum. I made a net out of stiffer (and less stretchy) .65 noseeum from Questoutfitters and although it’s more durable than RSBTR and Dutchware .67, it doesn’t pitch as well because it’s less supple. Same reason silnylon pitches easier than DCF.

William McCaffrey
    BPL Member

@wmccaffreygo-pasadena-edu-2

Monte, I apologize for the delay in response. Please shoot me a message if you’re still considering selling these! I’d love to get one in preparation for spring and summer hikes.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools