Topic

Princeton tech byte replacement suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Princeton tech byte replacement suggestions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Russell Lawson
    BPL Member

@lawson

Locale: Olympic Mts.

Hello, I’ve been using the Princeton tech byte for years.  It’s been my favorite headlamp for in camp and daily use at home.  I really like that it isn’t to bright, good weight, two AAA’s and price under $20. Though they only seem to last 3-4 years of use.  I bought a new one this year and one of the issues the byte has had is it will drain the battery while idle, or in the lock position, either way when I go to grab it, it will not turn on until I flip the batteries positions and even then they will be well drained, and the headlamp is not super bright to begin with.
    Any suggestions for a new headlamp that fits all these features, price doesn’t matter as long as it is durable for a few years.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

If you don’t mind the concept of a rechargeable headlamp (micro-USB only), I’ve been really happy with the NiteCore Headlamps. I have two and they really seem to hold their charge between hikes:

• NU25 – Up to 360 lumens, although I normally use mid (38 lumen) mode
    • NU32 – Up to 550 lumens – again I usually use mid (33 lumens on this model) which their website says the unit can do for 50 hours!

They both have red LEDs (which I really like for in my hammock at night) but pack a big enough punch in turbo mode to light up the area when you hear things go bump in the night.  For what it’s worth I’ve never had to charge either on the trail – including a 5-night trip with the NU25.  I will admit though that I probably use it less than an hour a night.  I also find the strap pretty comfortable.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

I will second the NU25, a charge lasts a long, long time.

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

Instead of 2 AAA, is 1 AA OK? That means less spare batteries to buy. I’ve been liking my zebralight for 15 years. They keep coming out with better ones. Typical weight is 1.1oz.

Supposedly they have a “16 year” drain life (when off). However, mine turns on in the pack so I turn the head a ¼ turn to keep it off in the pack.

http://www.zebralight.com/Headlamp_c_7.html

May everyone find the light,

-Barry

Russell Lawson
    BPL Member

@lawson

Locale: Olympic Mts.

Hmm great feedback, thanks everyone. I have 30+ rechargable AAAs, and only a handful of AAs, as I use headlamps almost every day around the house and for work. I think I’m sold on the zebra, not really into the rechargeable headlamp, as batteries can be swapped out for instant work needs.  Almost purchased a zebra years ago, but with all the headlamps I’ve destroyed the cost is roughly the same.
    Thanks again!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools