Topic

Portal vs. Aspect 2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Portal vs. Aspect 2

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

While I’m futzing around with the Strat Li, I’m going to start considering a domey option in case I can’t get comfortable with the Strat.  Two of the options on my backup list are the Portal, a la Slingfin, and the Aspect 2 from Mountain Hardwear.  Very similar, going by the numbers; opinions on either or both?

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

We have a Portal. We bought it because we wanted a lightweight self-standing tent that does reasonably well in the wind, and we wanted a tent where we can erect it and move it around (fully erected) to fit a tight campsite. Due to its internal guylines, trekking pole stabilization, the way the rain fly connects to the tent poles using toggles, (instead of velcro), and with all rainfly tie-outs sewn to the same place as the pole toggles-> it is pretty solid in the wind for its weight and for the type of tent it is. We have other tents (Stratospire 2, X-mid 2) that we also use, but for trips where finding a good place to pitch a tent is difficult, with not a lot of room, the tent works well. Not exactly palatial inside in terms of floor space, good headroom though when sitting up, and big enough for my wife and I to sleep comfortably (and hide from the weather). IMO Slingfin makes great tents. Once this tent is properly set up, with interior and exterior guylines, and using trekking poles to stabilize the cross pole, it is surprisingly solid. I very much doubt that the Mtn hardware tent is as solid. In fact, I would venture to say that there is not any self-standing tent, for two people, of the same weight, that is as solid overall (wrt wind) as the portal. It is made of lightweight fabrics though, so abrasion resistance is not going to be its forte. Tradeoffs!

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Great response, Paul; thank you! Solidity in wind is definitely a priority, but it’s not at the very top of my list; when we looked back over pictures and notes about our campsites, we found that most of them are semi-protected from the wind, and somewhat cramped but not restrictively tight.

From what I can tell, the Aspect 2 looks to be made from heavier materials, and it eschews a few features of the Portal…as do similar offerings from BA, MSR, etc. We considered picking up a Tiger Wall to try out, but none are available: common problem these days. I might order a Portal to see how it feels; as always, I can catch-and-release something if it doesn’t work for us.

Any other suggestions, regarding similar dome-flavored options?

Brett A
    BPL Member

@bulldogd

I was going to suggest the Big Sky Revolution 2P but also out of stock.  Bit heavier than the Portal.  Don’t own one but I’ve been considering one as a replacement for our Lunar Duo.  The Lunar Duo is VERY spacious for a 2P tent.  Interior dims of the Revolution 2P are the closest to the Lunar Duo that I’ve come across thus far in a 2P dome tent without stepping up to a 3P.  I may have overlooked one or more though.  I like that it’s fly-first pitch as well.

Brett A
    BPL Member

@bulldogd

NM.  Misread your initial post.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

NM. Misread your initial post.

No worries; all suggestions are welcome. I’m not averse to trying out more non-dome-shaped things. I’m at the point of having to do some shelter replacement, so I know it’ll take some experimentation before I’m happy and I know I have to pick something, so I’m considering lots of options.

Brett A
    BPL Member

@bulldogd

The Revolution 2P is a self-supported, dome-shape so worth considering within the particular category I suppose.  Wish it was lighter but appears to be very roomy and about as easy to pitch as they come.  Unfortunately, I wouldn’t be saving any weight over the Lunar Duo (we have the cheaper “Outfitter” model).  Unless, of course, she carries either the inner or outer…though I think I would prefer to leave them clipped together.  It seems that once you have the poles up, it’s simply a matter of raising the fly and inner together, clip it to the poles and stake out the vestibules.  Done.  Unless of course you need to guy it out.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

I gave it a look: seems like a decent tent!  I do like the ability to set it in weather without soaking the inner… although I tend to do that when I crawl in, regardless.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools