Topic

Portable Charger for backpackers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Portable Charger for backpackers

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Anker may not be quite the lightest weight, but they’re pretty good

I have a 10,000 mAh

It wasn’t quite big enough for 5 or 6 nights so I got a 13,000

And a 20,000 which I decided was more than needed, but good back at the car so I can charge everything up before starting, like on the way driving

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Never heard of ‘POIYTL’ but the majority of the reviews are fake. I will stick with brand that’s been around, trusted and has fantastic product support.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

As @BradW alludes…I don’t think I will attach my $1000 iPhone to an unknown manufacturer’s $15 battery bank that is not MFi certified.  But that’s just me.  Maybe it’s not such a big deal with an Android phone? Or maybe I’m a scaredy cat?

As an aside, there are quite a few articles on all the internets about the proliferation of bizarre brand names on Amazon.   “POIYTL” seems to me to fit that pattern.  My point being, there is literally no way to know who actually manufactures these products.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

@JCH I am with you. Had plenty of issues with cheap third party cables and low quality-‘gas station chargers’ I like to call them, ruining devices. Not worth it, especially when I rely on my phone while backpacking.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

You have to pay license fees to get the IP to implement mFi products so such products will cost more.  But sometimes you get what you pay for.

I bought a Samsung SSD USB nvme (meaning fast memory for high data rates) drive last month and Samsung stated “use only with the supplied cable.”  I proceeded to use BlackMagic to test all my USB C and USB A 10Gb cables and found that some of them were not very good in terms of data rates in with the same source (my MacBook) and the same destination (my Samsung ) and threw them away. My Anker cables performed as well as the Samsung.

Seems like there might be an app out there somewhere that would enable me to test the power delivery on USB C PD and USD A cables…

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools