Topic

Poncho Tarp 101 with bug bivy (SUL)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion Poncho Tarp 101 with bug bivy (SUL)

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

Good job Monty

Michael
    Spectator

@reversecoast

Great post Monte.  I have the same GoLite Poncho trap and am curious about using an internal ridgeline the way you have it pre-arranged.  Can you elaborate on how you sequence setting up the internal ridgeline/prusiks + poles + 2 black ridgeline stakeouts?  Thanks.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

Good post. My 9×9 membrane silpoly tarp and net tent also weighed in just under 20oz, but I did not have a poncho option with that. I have since repurposed the tarp into a single wall pyramid shelter weighing 16oz, so could theoretically get away with that and a light poncho or jacket for the same weight. It is a little bit short for my 6’1” frame, but I like the side entry more than the front entry (back problems).

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Thank you Michael and Michael. I’ll try to better clarify what I do with the ridgeline. First of all, the loops you see created on each end of the ridgeline are made with bowline hitches.

Next the metal ring that I have tied 12″ from the front end of ridgeline is done with a simple overhand knot.

I tie the 2 long black spectra lines (that anchor front and back of the shelter) to the loops on each end of the ridgeline with a bowline hitch.

It’s best to make your prusik loops with a fisherman’s knot. I used a simpler, but not as good knot in the pics I posted. You can see a fisherman’s knot on animatedknots.com. Anyway, this diagram shows how to wrap the prusick knot around your ridgeline. Then make sure wooden toggle is BEHIND the grosgrain tieout. And make loop just barely large enough to fit the wooden toggle in it. You might have to experiment a little. I’ll try to find the Corporal’s Corner video on YouTube which shows exactly how to do it.

I secure the long black spectra lines around my poles with a clove hitch.https://www.animatedknots.com/clove-hitch-knot-half-hitches

I also use a micro linelock on each of the long black spectra lines.https://zpacks.com/products/micro-lineloc

I hope I’ve shed some light on the questions you asked Michael. If you want to ask more feel free to do so. Glad to help.

Michael
    Spectator

@reversecoast

Very helpful, thanks Monte.  I follow how all the pieces are connected at the ridge: looks like you have the GoLite tieout (black grosgrain), then a small yellow spectra loop which is loced with the toggle to the prusik loop, and then the ridgelines are attached by bowlines.

But I’m still not totally clear on the order of your setup–do you set up the two poles first, tensioned against each other, and then throw the tarp over the (tensioned) internal ridgeline and pull it taut with the prusik loops, stake out corners/sides?

I am  probably missing something obvious, and should just go outside and try it . . .

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

I know this is a personal preference thing, but have you tried both internal and external ridgelines, and have you any thoughts to share on your experience? I would think I would run it outside the tarp unless I thought I was going to get snowed on. I’d hope to have a different shelter for snow, however, so that probably is a moot point for me.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Michael B – Inside the tarp allows you to hang your bivy/net tent from the ridgeline.  I’ve never tried outside, but without a center pullout I’d think the poncho would sag more.

Michael – I forgot to mention about the small yellow spectra loop on grosgrain. I do that because the prusik/toogle doesn’t work with a tieout sewn on the way you see with Golote ponchos (without the extra little loop). To start my pitch I stake 2 rear corner tieouts directly to the ground and then move to front and try to keep toggles in place. There’s a fiddle factor, however, practice makes it much easier.

Yea Michael, most tarps have tioeouts sewn on to where you don’t need to add the little loop. I was thinking about those others when I was describing where to place the toggle. Dope!

Michael
    Spectator

@reversecoast

Monte – that all makes sense.  I’ll have to give your setup a try this weekend.  Very cool post!

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

That looks like a sweet setup. Great job.

I am trying to dial in a down and dirty kit for peak bagging. I have a Katabatic Pinon bivy 7.6oz and I was gifted a Hexamid pocket tarp – 6.1oz. Stakes are 1.5oz. While not the lightest shelter having it quasi-modular allows me to setup one or the other depending on weather, etc. The bivy can really open up site selection choices that you don’t have with a non-freestanding tent or even the tarp.

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools