Topic

Polyco idea: How about Double Bubble Reflective Foil Insulation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Polyco idea: How about Double Bubble Reflective Foil Insulation

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi folks,

I’m new in here.  Tried to search for a thread for this topic instead of creating another one.  Could not find it.  Please kindly direct me to the thread if there is one.

Going with Polyco plastic as a ground cover idea;  what is the thought of the double bubble reflective foil?

It’s light, 9oz for 2’x5′ rectangle, two rows of bubble insulation and two foil layers seems to work a lot better at insulating instead of a thin plastic sheet.   Right?

Im trying to kill 3 birds with one stone.  Cheap, ground sheet, which I will double (4’x5′ folded lengthwise = 4 ‘closed cell’ rows of bubbles and 4 sheets of foil) to be my sleeping pad,

Thanks for your thoughts and patience

Ken

matt kirk
    BPL Member

@matthew-d-kirk

Locale: southern appalachians

What kind of shelter are you using? If this is really going to serve as protection from wet ground, I’m not sure those dimensions will give you enough protection especially lengthwise. I think the other drawbacks to this idea would be the increased bulk when packed and decreased durability. The air bubbles will eventually lose their air over time. Then again, it could be comfortable enough and work for you just fine. Give it a try! If it doesn’t work out, you could repurpose the material to make several pot cozies for you and your friends.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Sounds good but….walking on it will burst bubbles and will be bulky.

4×5 1/8 ccf might work also, less bulk but still doable for the 3 purposes.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Dan and Matt.  Ya, I’m getting a small sheet and will play with it.

To answer, I have been using a quarter dome tent for a while but want to go lighter and thinking bug bivy and tarp.  The Borah bug is what I’m looking into wand it already has a silnylon tub. So this bubble layer thinking is my insulation/padding.

Thanks again guys!  Hope to see you on the trails

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools