Topic

Poly-Cro sheeting on sale now at my Walmart, maybe at yours, too.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Poly-Cro sheeting on sale now at my Walmart, maybe at yours, too.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I gave a talk on UL backpacking at the college last week and someone who learned about poly-cro window-sealing sheets as a UL ground sheet reported that our local Walmart has them for 1/2 price now (closing out the winter stuff).

Normally about $11 making seven 5′ x 7′ ground sheets $1.50 each, now they’d be 75 cents each.

Once upon a time, I thought they seemed flimsy, until a BPLer and I butchered a bear on top of one while on lots of really sharp gravel.  It had a few tears at the end of it all, but Wow! that was a ridiculous torture test for a ground sheet – sharp rocks, working on our knees, 600 pounds of bipeds and ursine carcasses rolling around.  A very well-spent $1 for that use.  And in normal backpacking use, they’re good for 20 to 30 nights.

Barry noted that HEET is heavily discounted right now at his local store.

Any other seasonal closeouts relevant to UL BPers?

Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

Used a groundsheet made from this stuff for my BA Fly Creek UL3, for years. Probably 20-30 nights as you guess. Very tough stuff. Never did puncture or rip, but finally in a very strong wind, it stretched and broke at one corner. Well worth it. Easy and cheap to make another.

Kelly

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Just did some ground-truthing.  They’re not 50% off at my Walmart.  They’re 70-80% off.

10-window kit, normally $12.25 now $3.50.

5 medium or 2 large windows kit, normally $9.95 or $8.37, now $2.

I picked up 4 boxes.  Cause Manfred.  And caribou.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools