Topic

Poll: What's your preferred sleeping position, and bag or quilt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Poll: What's your preferred sleeping position, and bag or quilt?

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Side sleeper, T-rest Corus down quilt 35F, T-rest Neoair Xlite, Exped UL pillow Large.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Side/front sleeper, mostly, using a  20F EE Revelation Long/Wide. Pad is an XLite and a NightLight for a total ~R5.3. Below the rating I use a bag.

I pull the quilt over my head leaving just my face out (long.)

The width really helps with drafts. Especially at the low temp range, the it really helps when bulked up. I don’t use pad attachments…too confining.

David P
    BPL Member

@david-paradis

Active side sleeper, tossing and turning etc… use EE quilts on a Neoair Xlite.  The first thing I noticed switching to a quilt a few years ago is how much easier it is to change positions without getting tangled up like I used to in a mummy… i use a wide  long quilt.  In warmer months I use an x-short quilt (it’s my son’s) like an elephants foot. It goes up to my armpits so I can sleep with my arms out, it’s pretty great.  I double up quilts in the colder months

Thomas
    BPL Member

@thomas51

Locale: Rainy Pacific Northwest

Position: I start out on my back, then fall asleep on my right side, then seemingly alternate back and side.

Type Bag: I use a (Katabatic down) quilt, because a quilt is lightweight and adjustable per temperature variation. If it seems warm out, I spread out the quilt more like a blanket, and when it gets colder I pull the sides in closer and more underneath me.

Cold drafts: yes, this has bothered me in the past. It would be much easier for me to turn over to my right side without my shoulder grabbing and lifting the quilt, if my torso were shaped like a cylinder. However, this is not the case. I also don’t like waking up wondering “why am I so cold now?” to find that I’ve completely slipped off my pad onto the cold tent floor.

There are 3 remedies :
    1. Wear your insulation jacket while you sleep
    2. figure out how to clip or attach the quilt to your pad
    3. Use a quilt that also has a zipper in back, as an option (see Zpacks)

As for #2 above, I use a Thermarest Prolite pad, and ordered a bunch of Stick-on Loops and Hooks from Zpacks.com (under Accessories), and stuck the loops onto my quilt to hook up with the hooks that I stuck onto my pad. I put one loop/hook at the base of the quilt/pad, and 3 along both left and right sides. I even used loop/hooks to attach my inflatable pillow to the top of the pad. This system works well for me, so when I turn over to my side, the hook/loops prevent the quilt from rolling with me. So the hook/loops keeps my sleep system together. I think having a zipper in back might be the easiest option, and I’m thinking about sewing a long zipper on to the back of my quilt.

Sam C
    BPL Member

@crucial-geek

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Prefer to sleep on my stomach but will sleep which-ever why.

Mummy bags all day.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Side. Quilt, no straps. Never going back to a bag.

Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Locale: Lake District, Cumbria

Side sleeper, often out in sub-zero weather and sleeping increasingly cold as I get old and wrinkly.

Used mummy bags for decades – it was all there was. But they are restrictive and I got tired of waking up with the hood over my face.

I like quilts in warmer weather but find them too draughty in a hard frost.

So current preference is a 10f hoodless bag that also works as a quilt. A touch less warm than a mummy, but coupled with an insulated jacket it handles a very wide temperature range with a modest weight penalty compared to a pure quilt. I zip it up as temps approach freezing. And no hood over my face…

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools