Topic

Pole jacks and bent tips

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pole jacks and bent tips

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Locale: Lyon/Taipei

I’ve had problems with using MLD aluminum pole jacks on Komperdell (my regular poles) and Black Diamond (used occasionally) carbon trekking poles. The pole tip is always inserted at a very slight angle. It never fits just snug and flush. The pressure on that slight angle is increased when the whole pole itself is angled, as is very common with monopole shelters where the angle affords greater convenience in the living space. This can result in a bent pole tip and, under more extreme circumstances, a broken pole tip.

Whenever possible, I’ve given up using pole jacks at all, preferring to use a rock instead. But I need one for a Mid that goes slightly higher, beyond the reach of a trekking pole + rock. I only use one pole in summer, so combining two trekking poles together isn’t an option.

Strangely, I haven’t seen other people raising this issue, so I’m wondering if the diameter of the pole tips on other brands isn’t a perfect match?

Is this a brand issue? A sunspot issue? An antimatter particle exposure issue?

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

How long do you need? The Komperdell Camera Staff extends to 150cm, 59 inches. So does the Leki Haute Route but it’s heavier and only 2 sections.

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Yup, I need a minimum of 150cm. A little more would be even better for angling the pole.

Thanks for those suggestions.

I’ve actually used the Camera Staff once upon a time and didn’t like it.
    The Leki Haute Route doesn’t look appealing due to the minimum length and the Aergon grip. I slide my hands along the length of the pole on uphill sections, but the protrusion on the bottom of the grip would prevent that. It’s something that might be available in a local store, so I could try to check it out.

They are both heavy, though.

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

As regards the Camera Staff, I remember that it was principally the weight that turned me off. Also maybe the large hard cork ball head.

The benefits of the tripod mount were negligible.

Komperdell used to have a version of the Camera Staff that used carbon for two of the three sections, shaving off 30 – 40 grams. But this version doesn’t seem to be available in Europe anymore and isn’t on Komperdell’s website.

I could give it another try. Or not. I’m still interested in solving the mystery of the pole jack case.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

The 2/3 carbon version seems to be available at Alpinetrek (AKA Bergfreunde), if you decide to give it a try.

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Thank you.
    It was gone by the time I got there.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Strange. It’s still showing as available to me.

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Me too. Try actually adding it to your basket and then going to checkout. Doesn’t work for me on several browsers.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

On the Alpinetrek site, I got all the way through to the payment page without any problems. Firefox on Windows 10.

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Wow, I should send you a commission fee or something!

In the interim, I found these promising alternatives:

RocAlpes RT680 Carbone Pro
    Alpkit Carbonlong Backpacker Single (out of stock)
    Zpacks Carbon Fiber Staff (limited adjustability and lack of grip)

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

The RocAlpes carbon poles weigh 216g each, so 53 grams less than the Komperdell Camera Staff Carbon. They look well-designed. The extra length of the insert even at maximum height looks like an advantage for tent pole use. Unfortunately, there is no information about the diameter of the carbon fiber tubing they use, nor have I found any reviews on the web.

extra long insert length

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Some good finds. The Alpkit ones are a good price, weight and have aluminium lower sections, but no extended grip. They’d be perfect for some people if they were in stock.

I’d never heard of RocAlpes before.

Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

Could you find a piece of tent pole tube the same diameter as the lower section of your trekking pole? Then, when pitching your mid, remove the lower section of trekking pole and replace with the tubing. If it were to long to carry as one length you could put a ferrule in it.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

There’s these carbon poles discussed in a thread currently down the page. I followed the link in the thread and I believe they were spec at 158 cm, 190g per pole; AND they could be purchased 1 at the time.

I agree the thing with poles and length and ill fitting pole jacks is frustrating. I have a mid and am also searching for poles that extend to a length that would serve. I’ve tried jacks from both Z-packs and MLD and they are insecure to say the least. I like hiking with 2 for downslopes and stream crossings where they can really made a diff in moving right along. I would like to be able to rig a 2 pole system for the mid and there are some videos on the web of a 2 pole connection rig but it won’t do much good if the 2 poles aren’t long enough and/or have janky floppy sections/jacks.

I guess the problem with secure jacks is the varied bottom diameter of the poles but never the less it is a bit frustrating.

Maybe someone will read this and point to a cracker jack solution  ;)

Entrepreneurs! Harken! I’ve even provided you with a catchy name!

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Those poles from CNOC Outdoors look really nice. Thanks for the HU.

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Looks like Alpkit may have had QC issues with their poles which may account for why they are no longer in stock.

This is a negative review

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

There was a post in old thread describing a method of filling the end of jack with epoxy, wrapping tip with plastic wrap coated with Vaseline and inserting. Purported result was perfect tip/jack fit.

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

sounds like it might be worth a try!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Yes, it should work as long as the epoxy doesn’t damage the pole jack if it is carbon fiber (chemical reaction).

If you scroll to the bottom of this post on my blog is can see what I did. Probably not applicable to your situation, but it is the same concept. The pole is rock solid with a large shelter, but the pole is perpendicular.

http://popupbackpacker.com/hiking-staff-repairs-adaptations/

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

That’s an elegant solution for poles with screw on tips, Nick.

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Follow up on an old thread.

I took advantage of a 20% off sale on the full carbon poles from Roc Alpes (Switzerland) listed above.

They are very well built. The extra long EVA on the shaft is very welcome. Full extension up to 150cm. The extra long shaft means that even at 150cm there is still 11cm on pole shaft inside the top tube, which is probably a very good thing for use as a Mid or tarp pole.

15 grams over stated weight for a total of 229 grams (8 oz) per pole.

Beside lower stated weight, the only advantage the carbon poles from CNOC would have over these would be the screw tip. Given the huge difference in price for European buyers, the Roc Alpes poles are an excellent choice. I’m also a big fan of having an extended EVA grip on the shaft because I often use my poles that way.

For value, nothing beats the 2/3 carbon poles from Alpkit (also above).

Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Another follow up:

I just got a carbon fiber pole jack from Ruta Locura. With the internal spring inside, a trekking pole tip fits snugly inside, with virtually no play.

Ruta Locura ought to get an award for this ingenious design.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools