Topic

Polartec announces Polartec PowerFill

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Polartec announces Polartec PowerFill

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

http://bit.ly/PowerFill

No CLO specs on the various fill weights. I’ve asked for specs on their Facebook product announcement.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

“a unique controlled melt process bonds the hollow fibers, increasing durability and drapability, eliminating the need for scrims or the stabilizers”

maybe that would mean you only have to sew around the perimeter like Apex?

hollow fibers would be stronger for the weight, like a tube is stronger for the weight than a rod.  So maybe there’d be more loft

it would be interesting to see specs

it comes in 60, 80, 100, and 135 gm/m2.  That would be 2.5, 3.4, 4.2, and 5.7 oz/yd2, similar to polyester insulations

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

When will we see it sold for the DIY market tho?

When will we see test results and Clo/R value information?

Would be good to have a competitor for APEX but I do hate teasers from big companies

I asked these questions on their Facebook page and my post disappeared after 10 minutes

Jack
    BPL Member

@j4ck

Locale: New England

Wiggy’s has two posts up about Powerfill:

http://www.wiggys.com/wiggys-blog/still-one-more-bogus-insulation/

http://www.wiggys.com/wiggys-blog/power-fill-bs/

There is quite a bit of his usual opinion and commentary, but there is still some information to be gleaned. He shared CLO values from the spec sheet he was given. He has also received samples from Polartec. He also says he will have a video up shortly on the topic.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Ahg yes, the good Wiggy.
    In the first URL he writes:
    Today I am the largest and in my opinion only quality sleeping bag manufacturer in the world.
    Ah …. what can I say in the face of extreme hype like this? Mind you, I suspect the quality American and European mfrs will simply (and justifiably) ignore him.

On the other hand, I agree with his comments about Goretex.

Cheers

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

I just went to those Wiggy links.

I have no idea what I just read. Is Wiggy Trump’s cousin?

Confusion from Australia.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

So the Clo values seem to be similar enough to the other products already in the market.

To get market share the new insulation will need something outstanding in terms of either longevity or compressability or cost, getting all three is too much to hope for

Jack
    BPL Member

@j4ck

Locale: New England

YouTube video

Wiggy has his PowerFill video up. Yes, still contains his famous commentary, but he handles a large sample of it in the video. Reports that Polartec says it requires quilting. You can see why, particularly at the beginning and the end of the video. Pulls apart quite easily. Oh well.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

I can deal with quilting but this says to me that it is not going to be an alternative to APEX just yet

BCap
    BPL Member

@bcap

I watched the video… all I really learned is that he really likes his own product and that he has a dog.  I like dogs, so that was good.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Is this what Patagonia are now using in the new line of synthetic parkas?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools