Topic

Polartec Alpha vs Arcteryx Coreloft vs Patagonia Full Range

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Polartec Alpha vs Arcteryx Coreloft vs Patagonia Full Range

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Eric K
    BPL Member

@gwudude

Locale: PNW

So, I’ve got a jacket by Millet that uses Polartec Alpha. I use it mostly in colder temperatures when I am on the move. Are these newer active insulations any better or just on par with Alpha in terms of air permeability?

Thanks.

Eric

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Do you mean Coreloft Continuous ?

Eric K
    BPL Member

@gwudude

Yes, I think so. The Coreloft that Arcteryx puts in their Atom LT jacket.

Eric

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

The normal Coreloft is no active insulation at all.

Coreloft Continuous (in the Proton-models) is.

Eric K
    BPL Member

@gwudude

Aw, okay, thanks. Any experience with the Proton at all? In a perfect world, I’d like to find something with the active insulation AND a water-resistant/wind-resistant shell BUT also is highly breathable/air permeable. I’ve got a couple of Mammut and Mountain Equipment Gore Windstopper softshells, they’re nice, but they certainly aren’t very air permeable and I find myself sweating in them when working hard (for example hiking up a fairl steep hill). I suppose it is impossible to find the perfect midlayer.

Any thoughts?

Eric

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

No experience at all as I only need insulation from the level of fleece, etc … when it’s really cold (perhaps only from 5°F or lower).

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

The flexibility of two layers gives you the best of both insulation and wind resistance for the planned conditions. Yes there is more faff with two layers but you can’t beat the versatility.

Eric K
    BPL Member

@gwudude

Good point there Paul.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

If you’re sure you will need both all the time, it will be a comparison between active insulation OTH and fleece + windshell on the other. If not, the combo rules.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools