Topic

Polartec Alpha durability/longevity?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Polartec Alpha durability/longevity?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I am wondering what the durability/longevity of Polartec Alpha is?  Thank you.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I read up on PT Alpha. Sounds like a very fluffy and light pile sandwiched between breathable fabrics.

I’ve got to try this first but I’d say it should last at least 10 years of moderate use. How it survives repeated stuffings is another question.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

It’s been my experience that Alpha doesn’t have a ton of loft (this could simply be a function that it’s more of an active insulation and they don’t add a ton), but is warm for what loft is there. I’ve got two different Alpha jackets that are still going strong 4 years later. I think it resists stuffing better than most syns

The military is still using it; it’s got to be at least moderately durable for them to even consider it

Luke F
    BPL Member

@fowler

You can find a few Alpha jackets with no liner that lets you look at it more closely, I feel pretty safe in saying “less durable then high-loft fleece, more durable then (most) lofted synthetics.”

It is for all intents polartec high-loft with a much daintier scrim layer and less dense fluff. Hence, its warmth/weight is similarly somewhere between fleece and lofted synthetic as well.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

How about the new Alpha Direct?  Would either be suitable for everyday, around town use?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

no experience with the Alpha Direct, but wear my Alpha jacket (Rab Strata) around town frequently

most of the Alpha jackets I’ve seen are on the lighter side insulation wise- there may be warmer ones out there, but I haven’t seen them

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

My first gen Rab Strata was 70% dead after 2 years of fairly hard use.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

David, that sounds like my 1st gen. Primaloft, exactly. And I took very good care of it, storing it flat under my bed. It still had its “Prima” but lost its “Loft”.

jared h
    BPL Member

@thundore

my rock climbing jacket is polartec alpha, and after 4 years it is pretty close to original performance. I don’t baby it like primaloft– it gets smashed, stuffed, sat on, and saturated with sweat, chalk, dust, and a little blood. But i do wash everything with castille soap in cold water and hang dry, so my stuff usually lasts a while. Never was as warm as primaloft, but great for higher output and warmer weather activities.

Two things with alpha…if the face and liner fabrics aren’t moderately to very breathable, you won’t see the full benefits of the insulation; and keep it clean — it often has mesh/super air-permeable liners, which lets a lot of sweat and oil through.

Just got alpha direct pants and balaclava to check it out. very different from the old alpha… kinda like high pile polartec on the MH monkey man or Patagonia R3.  like them so far, but hard to compare. Definitely good for around town, camp, and the balaclava for cycling is amazing.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

I actually looked at an Outdoor Research Ascendant hoody using the new Alpha Direct insulation last night.  It does have the pile type insulation on the inside but more like a 100wt layer at best.  I rubbed some between my fingers and some shed right off.  I wore one walking around the store for about 15 minutes already wearing an OR Echo T and really did not feel that much warmer.  Honestly I felt just a s warm wearing my MH microchill hoody.  I am sure if there was a wind things would be really different but I did not feel warm and not warm enough to justify a $215 price tag.  Maybe if you are doing high output activities all the time but otherwise I don’t see a use for it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools