Topic

Polarizing Filters for Smartphones/iPhone?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Polarizing Filters for Smartphones/iPhone?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Please scroll down to the next post

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Can anyone recommend a good polarizing filter for iPhone? How many of you like using a polarizing filter for smartphone photography even though editing apps can do some of the work post-photo?

I’ve read that 1/2 of a paper set of 3D movie glasses could be used since they are polarized. And of course you could probably use your sunglasses if they are neutral, though a dedicated flat filter lens is going to be much smoother.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

The Moment Lenses have a filter adapter but I haven’t picked it up yet.  Polarizing filters can be wonky with wide angle lenses and I primarily shoot at 18mm when using a lens on my phone and shooting landscapes, but will likely buy one for shooting rivers and such for those times that I want to knock down the glare.

I’m mostly interested in using this adapter with a variable ND filter, not only for slow shutter speed stills, but also for slowing down my shutter speed when shooting video.   I typically shoot video at 24p so I want my shutter speed closer to 1/50, not 1/2000, for example

Roger W
    BPL Member

@rew

I have been using the Aukey circular polarizing filter for a couple of years on my iPhone SE with excellent results. It just clips on the phone and easy to rotate.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Circular polarizers work best with digital camera sensors (CMOS and CCD) so I think a smartphone would also work better with a circular polarizer which rotates.

With your sunglasses or half of a 3D lens, are you are going to get is some darkening and perhaps other effects but you could experiment since the cost if near zero.

You can make the sky blue-er in post processing but it is really hard to remove glare from reflective surfaces in post processing.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Are you using an add-on lens (and if so, which one), or are you wanting something for the iPhone lens only?

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Thank you Ian, Roger and Bruce. Roger the Aukey looks like a simple inexpensive solution.

Ian I’ll look into variable ND filters. I know only a bit about them.

Bruce you’re right the cost is zero but there’s not going to be much quality or consistency.

Doug I’m looking first for a polarizing filter for the iphone lens itself. Then I’m going to look into what add-on lenses I might enjoy and if any come with an adapter for polarizing filters. Are there add-on lenses you use with a polarizing filter?

David Caudwell
    BPL Member

@dcinbc

Locale: Gulf Islands, Coastal BC

You might want to look into Sandmarc lenses. They are comparable in quality to the famous Moment lenses, plus they have a range of compatible filters and, last but not least, they are considerably cheaper! (Partly because each lens comes with the appropriate case for your model of iPhone, whereas with Moment, not only are the lenses more expensive, you have to buy a separate case to mount them).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools