Topic

Poke bowl

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

This is one of my better dehydration recipes. I made this in a dehydrator and cold-soaked it. I’ve been surprised how delicious it is.

Dehydrate cooked rice. I like short-grain brown rice. I cook it first, then dehydrate it on trays in the dehydrator.

Poke – mix in a bowl the following:

1. Shredded cabbage – about a cup
    2. Grated carrot – 1 carrot
    3. Chopped sweet onion – about a quarter to a half a cup
    4. Chopped oba leaves, if you can find this. Otherwise, skip.
    5. A couple heaping spoonfuls of goma konbu if you can find it (seasoned kelp). Or Ogo (which is already dried kelp). Or skip the kelp if you can’t find it or don’t like it.
    6. Grated fresh ginger if you like it. About an inch of ginger.
    7. Frozen ahi tuna, cubed, raw. Maybe one or two steaks, depending on how much you think looks like will be the right amount.
    8. Sprinkle in some red hot chili flakes (like they have for pizza) and maybe some toasted seasame seeds.
    9. Mix this up in a bowl, season with salt.

Spread the mixture on trays in the dehydrator. The raw tuna will become sort of like tuna jerky.

Portion out the rice and poke into meals. The above will make two to four meals depending on how much you eat. This will cold soak to the right consistency in a few hours. Bring some toasted sesame oil and/or mayonnaise to put on it at the time you eat it. Also, shiso rice topping or other Japanese rice topping added at the time you eat it is good. If you can add a fresh avocado, it’s even more delicious.

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

Wow, this looks delicious! Luxuriously so for a backpacking meal. And very creative. On my short list, thanks Piper!

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

I don’t know if I’ll be ambitious enough to dehydrate this, but I just might make it fresh at home as a yummy hot-weather lunch!  👍

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

If you make it at home, definitely put avocado in it. It’s kind of depressing and sad without avocado. Mayonnaise will perk it up some in a pinch. I think what makes it so good in real life is the combo of cold poke salad on top of warm rice.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools