Topic

Pods vs dry bags

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pods vs dry bags

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

I’m curious about HMG pods, which seem to be all the rage these days, and wonder what there is to recommend them  over larger, considerable cheaper, and prolly much more water-resistant  DCF dry bags.

Any major league HMG fans out there?

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Water-resistance, pun intended, is a slippery subject.

As a long-time whitewater raft guide, anything most backpacking gear makers would call waterproof wouldn’t stay dry for 10 minutes under a flipped raft. Even much heavier rafting-specific dry bags failed under those conditions.

“That’s an extreme example.” Maybe. Unless you are a packrafter. Or drop your pack into the swift-flowing river that you were carefully crossing.

So what do you consider water-resistant? Rainproof? Under what conditions? I’ve made waves under the floor of a mountaineering tent pitched in a government-required low spot while it rained – and stayed dry for three nights. Wouldn’t dare try that with most lightweight backpacking tents.

Sorry for the rant, but until we agree on definitions …

Yes, I’m a fan of water-resistant Hyperlite Mountain Gear DCF pods, inside my water-resistant HMG DCF pack. On multi-day trips where it rained every day, the contents stayed dry, without a pack cover or a liner, saving that weight.

I kept my pack out of puddles, lakes, and rivers, too. As Forrest’s mama taught him, “Stupid is as stupid does.”

I like HMG pods better than dry bags or stuff sacks for two main reasons. They are much easier to open, pack, search, and close, because of the zippered flap on the big panel. And HMG pods fit well horizontally inside my HMG backpack, leading to a gear and food “layer cake” that’s easier to pack and find stuff.

Not cheap. Fit pretty well in most packs, but not all. More HMG pod benefits and drawbacks described by others in BPL threads and articles, including stuffing a sleeping bag into the large pod for years without problems.

I’ve also used similar, slightly lighter, and much cheaper Six Moon Designs silnylon packing pods that are less water-resistant. Might be worth checking out.

— Rex

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Just making sure you saw the recent review and the associated discussion thread about HMG pods.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

One reason I like DCF roll top style bag is I can use a longer bag than needed and roll to fit the bags contents. Rolled tight it looks neater and packers easier. Not knocking the pods, I have used silnylon versions, just personal preference.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools