Topic

Episode 11 | Upright Canister Stove Reviews

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Episode 11 | Upright Canister Stove Reviews

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Companion forum thread to: Episode 11 | Upright Canister Stove Reviews

This episode of the Backpacking Light Podcast features highlights from our recent round of canister stove reviews.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Thanks, Guys!

Regulated stoves are great for >32F temps. Gas flow rates, where evap cooling often cools the can further (unless you use the higher percentage propane mixes) and sometimes drives the pressure down faster than the regulator can maintain full flame. Ice on the outside of the can will usually indicate falling pressure. The old Soto add in ice water is a bit misleading. Any liquid water, with or without ice in it, will let the can produce OK pressure. To me, regulators are simply added complexity (unrepairable in the field) and weight (though, mostly I agree that the half to quarter ounce weight difference is not very important.)

Too bad the BRS-3000 is such low quality. While I never bought one, I appreciate the unreliability report. Over 50% support structure failure (4 out of 7) is simply unacceptable. Nice to know. As you said, a failure in the field could be dangerous. To me, this is enough to fail the stove let alone put it at the top of the list.  .

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I’ve owned a Brunton Crux for many years and it has always performed well. I bought it because it had the widest burner and I wanted to avoid hot spots. That it folds is also nice for storing it.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

@jamesdmarco,Too bad the BRS-3000 is such low quality. While I never bought one, I appreciate the unreliability report. Over 50% support structure failure (4 out of 7) is simply unacceptable. Nice to know. As you said, a failure in the field could be dangerous. To me, this is enough to fail the stove let alone put it at the top of the list.  .

I asked to see photos of the melted 4 out of 7…..never got to see any. No photos, never happened ;)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools