Topic

Plexamid – problems?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Plexamid – problems?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

Well…I ordered a Plexamid Beta V (13.6 oz — lighter version of last year’s Plexamid), and now I’m reading all kinds of negative reviews about ZPacks, including anecdotes about the carbon struts snapping in the Plexamid.  This is discouraging.  I was hoping to replace my Hexamid Solo tent (circa 2013) with this new shelter, but now I’m wondering if I should try a Borah bivy with my Hexamid Solo tarp (spring 2018)?

Any Plexamid owners here? Thoughts?  It’s pretty disappointing that the Solplex and Hexamid lines were discontinued, but the hope is that the Plexamid is a better (and lighter) shelter.

Joe McNair
    BPL Member

@bamadawg999

I have owned my Plexamid for about 4 months. Have had it out about 10 outings with 0 problems.

Marion Watts
    BPL Member

@mdwattsjr

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I went through the same story as you, lots of negative strut reviews. Luckily, Zpacks has recently replaced the previous strut poles with different ones. They have doubled up smaller diameter struts, for supposed better durability. Of the dozen times I have set up my Plexamid, I have had no issues. The struts seem to have plenty of “give”, and don’t feel like they would snap at all.</p>

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Zpacks has the Plexamid as “temporarily unavailable” on their site, so it’s no longer available to order. Someone on Reddit was saying they are going back to the Solplex, but that’s just a rumour.

FWIW, lots of reports of snapped struts here, including the updated ones:

ZPacks Plexamid issues? from Ultralight

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

I still think if Joe would bring back the Hexamid with slight modifications it would be well received. The Altaplex and Hexamid Solo-Plus were too high and had too much surface area for 1 pole. I’d like to see a slightly longer Solo Hexamid (4 inches) with a sewn in bathtub floor instead of the all net with detachable floor, and a larger entryway. He could call it the Hexamid Classic and say “Back by Popular Demand.”

I’ve just never liked the looks of the Plexamid. All the panel pullouts, gimmicky strut and larger footprint. The Soplex might be a little better, but with the second shorter pole and asymmetrical shape…no thanks.

David Wiese
    BPL Member

@dtothewiese

Latest rumor is Zpacks is bringing back a Hexamid tarp w/ storm doors.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

@ Dan,

That was me that posted on ultralight reddit (my reddit/youtube channel name is backpackingvideos).  I got an email response from Joe a couple days ago.  In brief, they are having issues with the current batch of struts.  According to Joe, a new batch is on its way and should be available within a week or so.  This could explain why they have taken the Plexamid offline temporarily until the issue is resolved.  He hasn’t indicated whether the Solplex will be brought back (or the Hexamid).  I think I will ask him this question directly, though, and report back.

Like I said before, I think a Hexamid with cuben sewn-in bathtub floor would sell quite well.  Personally, I prefer the Hexamid design without the struts, but I see why they introduced the Plexamid to get more headroom for taller hikers.  The simplicity of the Hexamid can’t be beat–a single pole setup for me is ideal because poles can/will break.  Also, some hikers carry only one pole.

@David

The Hexamid tarp you are referring to is the one they discontinued a year ago?  I have one of these.  I’m baffled as to why it was pulled, as it was quite popular.  I don’t see why Zpacks would offer the Hexamid tarp with storm doors in 0.34 cuben.  It makes more sense to go back to the 0.51 cuben tarp and tent.  The glory days of Zpacks would be back!  We are getting a crowded market today in UL shelters, and more options is better for Zpacks, not less.

Marion Watts
    BPL Member

@mdwattsjr

David,

To alleviate your (and my own) fears about a strut failure while on a trip, I removed my struts to see how the Plexamid would fare. Surprisingly well… And with very little loss of head/foot room. So much so, I wonder what the heck Zpacks was even thinking making an overcomplicated design… Reminded me very much of my old Hexamid… My original plan was to carry two extra struts, but now I’ll just carry my small DCF patch kit in case a broken strut makes a puncture, and plan on removing the struts in a failure situation until I return home… Here are some pictures of it set up. For reference, I am 5’11”, and I placed my head where I could sit up without my head touching the walls. I would guess about 18″ of foot space.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

If it works so well without struts then why bring them?

Marion Watts
    BPL Member

@mdwattsjr

A fair point, Paul. I think for the extremely small weight penalty they cost, enough room is gained to make them worthwhile. My point was that if one was damaged, it is certainly not a trip ender by any means.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools