Topic

Please offer a Midwest trail suggestions for my first weekend trip?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Please offer a Midwest trail suggestions for my first weekend trip?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Jon J.
    Spectator

@jonwjessop

Locale: Toledo

Hello,

I’m new to the forums (and backpacking) and was looking for some suggestions for a trip. I will be going with one other guy in March or April. We are both about 30 years old, in good health, and confident day-hikers who are trying to make the transition into backpacking. For this first trip it’s looking like a 3 day, 2 night Fri-Sun or Sat-Mon kind of itinerary. I would like to keep it within roughly a 5-hour or less drive from Toledo, OH. That basically leaves me with all of Ohio, Indiana, Michigan’s Lower Peninsula, Western Pennsylvania, Northeastern Kentucky, Southern Ontario, and maybe parts of West Virginia and Illinois – so hopefully plenty of good options exist.

I would love to get more of a backcountry experience, away from buildings, paved roads, campfire rings and picnic tables. I don’t want to sound like a snob, but I’m not doing this to constantly run into dozens of car campers and their garbage (but the occasional like-minded backpacker is totally fine) I know this is a little tougher here in the Eastern US, but I’m sure there are places to go to somewhat get away from civilization. At the same time, an established, well-marked trail would be nice, as we will likely be depending on our fledgling skills with a compass and maps (won’t have GPS).

My ideal trail would probably include the following: A loop or similar setup (so we don’t spend our limited time retracing our steps), interesting vistas or rock formations (doesn’t have to be huge mountains, but I see enough flat land at home), and plentiful clean water sources during springtime. Lastly, I doubt this one is realistic, but if I can take my Jeep Wrangler on some unpaved roads to reach a more isolated starting point, that would add to the fun. I’m not experienced enough to really know how long of a hike I’m looking for, but I’m guessing we can cover a solid 8-12 miles per day, depending on the terrain…but maybe you guys can help me understand what a realistic expectation would be.

My initial search has lead me to the following three locations (but feel free to offer additional suggestions):

1. Red River Gorge in Kentucky
      • Very interesting topography, but I’m worried it’s too popular/crowded and doesn’t have enough of a backcountry feel.
    2. Allegheny National Forest, Pennsylvania
      • Seems like it offers more of a wilderness experience than the above, but I’m not sure which trail(s) to pick. Also, maybe less interesting views/topography than Red River Gorge? Idk.
    3. Manistee River Trail/ North Country Trail, Michigan
      • Very pretty river, but the topography seems less interesting that the other two options, and it seems at least as crowded/developed as Red River Gorge.

I formed my opinions on the above locations (and weeded out several others) based on internet research and YouTube videos, so I wouldn’t be surprised if my initial impressions are way off-base. I know many of you guys have gotten out there and backpacked the Midwest, so hopefully you can help me decide exactly which trail to hike and camp this spring. Thanks so much!

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

The Manistee River Trial is a fine trip, the north west side has plenty of ups and down and view in Autumn\spring, also less people around.  I mountains but I take what I can get.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Red River Gorge is popular with Buckeyes like yourself.  It seems to be the closest spot for what a lot of people want.  It is decent backpacking, but, as you suggested, there can be a few people there.  You can usually get away from most of the crowds though.

I would consider the Big South Fork.  Its just off I-75 on the KY-Tn border.  Its easier to find solitude there, and I like it better than the Gorge, unless you want to sport climb.  Pickett State Park is contiguous and also has some nice hikes.  The area has a nice river gorge with steep walls and a whitewater river.  There are also a lot of rhododendron-choked streams, waterfalls, and arches.  It also has nice access areas generally and well-marked trails.  I especially like the Tn. side.

Only a little further for you is Grayson Highlands.  It’s prime southeast hiking.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I’d expand your radius by an hour and go to Pictured Rocks in da UP.

http://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/48021/

It’s the nearest national-caliber backpacking destination, and while it’s not exactly uncrowded on summer weekends, is further from more people than places like the Red.  Only issue is the area doesn’t lend itself to loops, but the access roads are mostly dirt and lend themselves well to mountain bike shuttles.

The Red is great and you can do some fine backpacks there, but nothing is far from a road and the probability of coming across trash-strewn campsites is high.  I assume that’s only become more of an issue in the decade since I was last there.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Indeed Pictured Rocks is a real nice location.

Jon J.
    Spectator

@jonwjessop

Thanks for all the feedback so far! It seems that I am located in a black hole for great backpacking. All of the new destinations that have been mentioned are about 7-9 hours away from my home in South Toledo. I was hopeful that for such a short trip I could find somewhere only 3-5 hours away, it would be a shame to spend 14+ hours in drive time for just a 2-night trip. As far as Pictured Rocks, that’s definitely on my short list of places to visit soon. I hiked similar terrain in Tobermory, Ontario this past fall. They are both part of the Niagara Escarpment, so the scenery is similar, although I suspect that Pictured Rocks is less crowded and developed than Tobermory.

It sounds like Red River Gorge may not be too busy that early in the season, especially once we hike more than a few miles in. Maybe not a bad choice for a short, first trip? I wonder if I should shoot for mid-March instead of April…

I was hoping to get some direction about the Allegheny National Forest as well, as it seems a little less traveled than the others. Anyone have any thoughts on that area? All of the feedback so far is truly appreciated.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

A huge +1 for Red River Gorge for your first weekend trip.  Get this map set Red River Gorge maps and use it to find out-of-the-way campsites.

It’s one of my favorite midwest destinations, and the hiking there is really nice.  Earlier in the season you’ll have fewer people, and even when it’s crowded I’ve been able to find good campsites.

I also really like the whole Manistee River Loop – even the “boring”‘ side – but it will have a bit more riffraff on it because there are more roads that lead to the trails all over.  RRG however is much easier to feel like you are away from everything.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Just because I’m familiar with it (it may be too far) is Black Moshannon State Park, outside State College, PA. There is a 20-ish mile loop you can do in a weekend, though it’s definitely not national-class hiking. No rocks, also, which you asked for. The Allegheny Front Trail also loops around the park and through some other public lands and is 41 miles.

For something a bit longer in the future consider the 70-mile Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail, from Ohiopyle to Johnstown. I mention it because it’s probably only a 3.5-hour drive from Toledo. And of course you could just do a segment, too. No loops but outfitters in Ohiopyle provide shuttles for a fee. Also, hit Falling Water while you’re there. Not great gorges like above, but yes decent rocks and views in at least a few places. It’s more about walking in a primeval rhododendron tunnel in some spots. It’s atmosphere is sort of a “mini-AT” because there are shelters. Very safe in that there is always a close bail-out option from anywhere on the trail. In fact, I might almost say that there is always a bail out option within site.

Frankly, not much else that’s really stands out other than those and Allegheny National Forest in Western PA- depending of course on how you define “western” PA. There are a number of rails-to-trails but you share them with bicyclists and everyone else on Earth. And unfortunately though I have researched it I have never been to Allegheny National Forest so I can’t give first-hand trail beta regarding it.

Jon J.
    Spectator

@jonwjessop

You guys have all been very helpful. I now have a few new areas in mind for a future, longer trip. As far as the trip in question, my thoughts are that we should go to Red River Gorge, KY. I’m sure we’ll have a great time for an initial, nearby weekend trip. It seems like we are going to have to go in mid-April; probably the 15th-18th. I’m hoping it will be cool enough at times to use some of the fun gear/clothing that I have been acquiring the last few months. Also hoping it will be early enough in the season to have fewer bugs and be a little less crowded. I’m really looking forward to getting out there. I’ll be posting some gear lists in the coming weeks in order to get some feedback on that aspect as well!

Eric Moll
    BPL Member

@edmoll13

Here’s another option for future consideration.

One of the best options in Michigan’s lower peninsula is Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. Last summer I came up with a route that gets some of the best dune and beach hiking that I can think of! With extra time you could add one or both of the Manitou Islands.

See here:  http://ericshikes.blogspot.com/2015/10/sleeping-bear-dunes-lakeshore-route.html?m=1

I haven’t done the whole thing at once and there’s still a couple small sections that I haven’t done. Camping is a little tricky but you probably wouldn’t even need a permit if you planned it right staying in campgrounds/town.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

For April in the RR Gorge, I would be prepared for cool, wet conditions.  You may get lucky and have nice clear days, but cool and wet is the norm for that time of year.

You will likely have the beginning of the flowers but likely no bug pressure.  It’s a great time to be there if the rain cooperates.

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

JonJ – Welcome to backpacking.  You have much too look forward to given that you are young and interested in hiking.

Two pieces of advice that others have not mentioned…

If you weren’t sure that you like being outdoors and hiking, then I’d say it’s important to go to a beautiful and impressive destination for your first trip, to make sure you’re first impression is favorable.  But it sounds like you’re already motivated.  So in addition to the scenic trip you’re seeking, my advice is to find some destinations that are easy to access and get out often.  Don’t limit yourself to a few long weekends each year, but find a place close to home where camping in the woods is permitted, even if it’s just a small patch of woods and a mile of trail.  Consider the S24O (sub-24-hour-overnight) – after work on a full moon weeknight head out to a nearby park, hike a mile or two, spend the night, get up early and go to work the next day.  There will be nobody else out on a weeknight.  It might not offer special scenery, but you will feel like a million bucks the next day.

And addressing your question — “I’m guessing we can cover a solid 8-12 miles per day, depending on the terrain…but maybe you guys can help me understand what a realistic expectation would be”.  

This is highly personal and there is no expectation.  If you are young and reasonably fit, and your shoes don’t give you blisters, then it’s all about how many hours you like to hike in a day.  You don’t need to be athletic or super-fit to walk at 2 mph, that’s actually a very modest pace.  Do you enjoy the process of walking enough to walk 9 or 10 hours a day?  If so, then 18-20 miles is a reasonable guess.  If you prefer to spend your time fishing, photographing flowers, chatting with people you meet on the trail, swimming, gathering mushrooms, watching birds, cooking, sleeping late, etc, then 10 hours of walking won’t be your cup of tea.  My general guideline is that 18-20 miles is an easy and comfortable pace for somebody who likes the process of walking and is walking on descent trail tread — that’s 9-10 hours at a very modest 2 mph pace.  Thirty miles per day is tough, and only serious hikers take on that kind of mileage — you either need to maintain a fairly brisk average pace of 3 mph, or you need to hike very long days.  8-12 miles per day is 3 to 6 hours walking, so if that sounds like the right amount of time then that’s a good target for you.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Jon J.
    Spectator

@jonwjessop

Thanks for the input everyone. I’m going to stick with RRG, KY in mid-April. I hope the weather cooperates, but I do have decent rain gear if it’s wet. I’ll keep Manistee River, MI as a last-minute Plan B if the weather forecast is tsunami-like, lol. As far as being sure that I’m into the outdoors and hiking, I am already very much into the outdoors and plan most of my vacations around outdoor activities like hiking, kayaking, snorkeling, etc.

I got the map set that Jennifer Mitol recommended – Very nice! Now my goal is to map out a game plan for each day’s hiking (with a little flexibility built in). So if anyone has any specific recommendation for out-of-the way scenic trails in Red River Gorge/Daniel Boone National Forest area please chime in. It seems like there are several interesting rock formations, but it’s a trade-off because they seem to attract the crowds. So I’m going to try and plan a 3 day, 2 night route that has mix of both if possible, but I’m more into the backcountry experience than the easy-access rock formations. Thanks again!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools