Topic

Please let Ken back

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Please let Ken back

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 97 total)
  • Author
    Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

Ken is a real asset to this community. He doesn’t sugarcoat his feedback and nor should he have to. Folks are being polite about this request. If it’s ignored, that will speak volumes to us.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Bring Ken back! We’re all adults and can handle different peoples’ styles. No big deal. This joint needs all the personality it can get.

There are legitimate parameters of content. Style, maybe not so much.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

It’s the right thing to do.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Yep, Ken has been a positive force in our collective interest in getting BPL back on track, at least for what interests the long-time members. Please bring him back. And while you’re at it, bring back Bob Gross too. Maybe he somehow offended the power(s) that be, but he added content, considered opinions, and color to BPL, which is sorely lacking these days. Why is BPL now being so exclusive? Are corporate egos getting in the way here? Please inform us as to just what BPL is now trying to become–a politically correct website that wants people to just buy/sell gear and your guided hiking trips? Many long time members want to know just what your motives and rules have become. And we want to know just why this site has become so cumbersome to to navigate through, and when it will again be functional.

(I hereby report this post likely as likely having inappropriate content)

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

Ken has been a passionate member of this community for a long time. Please bring him back.

Cole Crawford
    BPL Member

@cdc43339

Locale: Somerville, MA

+1

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

Seriously. Ken is an institution here, as was -B.G.-

I get it that he could be critical – but as was said above, we’re all adults here and he was just asking questions. Questions, I might add, that are legitimate.  Maybe abrasive, condescending, accusatory, and a bit unpleasant, but perfectly valid questions. Whether you agree or disagree with his style is irrelevant – that’s the point of a community, right?

If you keep kicking out people who simply challenge the status quo…then what do we have left???

BRING THEM BACK!

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Of course, all this assumes that Ken actually wants to come back.

Perhaps his signature is not the only way in which he will choose
    to emulate –B.G.– ?

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

+1 to bringing back Ken T., Dave T. and Bob G.

I’ve been a part of BPL, mostly silent, since the beginning and know how abrasive/annoying the three above could be. So what! They asked valid questions, answered questions from new and old alike, posted awesome trip reports, noted errors that ought to be fixed, etc.

If they are not allowed to come back I will have to re-evaluate my contributions to BPL and I hope you will as well. Specifically, I used to spend considerable time posting entire trip reports on this site but was happy to do so. I felt it was my way to contribute to the community. Now when I have trip reports on my own personal site I’m not sure I even want to post a link here. I still want to share and contribute to the community but not in a way that benefits Mr. Jordan. I’m under no illusions that my trip reports alone amount to anything, but aggregated, the wealth of knowledge in the trip reports on BPL is simply amazing/inspiring.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

+35

the tone set by banning him does damage

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Thank you for writing in and offering your support. I know that when a member is banned, it’s confusing for some. I won’t go into the specifics about the reasons for banning any member – I only communicate directly with that member and the goal of that communications is always to work through the conflict privately and restore the member’s posting privileges.

I’ll be communicating more on the topic of forums and moderation soon, which I hope will clarify some of my heart and vision behind the forums. This community and this company means the world to me and I don’t take any of this conflict lightly.

Thanks for your patience as we work through these challenges. They’re hard, and I wish to handle them with great care and consideration.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

+1 Casey, well put.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Thanks for the post Ryan. We hope all will be resolved and look forward to having Ken back.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@parkerjw

Locale: East Bay

We need KEN back!!!

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

@clue @jay it sounds like they are working on it. Keeping fingers crossed !

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

it sounds like they are working on it.

Is he having a parole hearing?

I wonder what the conditions of his release will be…Ankle bracelet? Strict curfew?  Perhaps he’ll get off with just a stern talkin’-to from the Warden and credit for time served.

Casey- well spoken.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

^^^  I meant that it sounds like they are communicating .

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“I meant that it sounds like they are communicating

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

NM

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Ken is the heart of BPL.

well,let’s not go overboard. Ken is perhaps the femur, the meniscus, the elbow, the spleen of bpl. all good and important things. No one person is “the heart”.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

In case I get kidnapped on one of my adventures….I am sending Doug a list of those I would like to negotiate my release  and those that I would rather not try ;)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“Ken is the heart of BPL.”

Hmmmmm. I always thought he resembled something just below the waist. Either side works….

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Apparently we are all the spleen,the elbow, the heart, the groin. Butt…there is only one

@seeyabye you are fast….great(ish) minds think alike :)

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.

Ryan, let Ken back in.  I know he has been critical of you in the past  and probably will be in the future but he was a valuable asset to this community and BPL will be the much the worse for his being banned.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

If we all endeavored to be the brain, heart and soul; but not the spleen, bile ducts, nor colon we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 97 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools