Topic

Please help me with a 30L Frameless Pack Decision

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Please help me with a 30L Frameless Pack Decision

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Paul D
    BPL Member

@paulieva

Hi All,

Looking for Reccos for a frameless. 30L pack.  I would like it to be able to day hike and overnight or two with dialed in gear.  Weight is a consideration. Must have shock cord for holding seat pad against back, waist belt,  compression side, daisy chain, ample and reachable side pockets and Y strap roll down top (or can be modified).

Nashville is out of my price range. I’d like it no more than $200-$225 complete.

baja bob
    BPL Member

@bajabob

Locale: West

Try Yar Gear.  Does not have all of the items you want.  Dandee you could order custom and get everything. I don’t think most frameless packs will have daisy chain unless you are looking for it on the shoulder straps.

DCF version for sale on Reddit ULgeartrade.

Internal volume is about 28L on the 38L drifter.  There is a review of this pack on this website if you do a search.

<p style=”text-align: right;”>https://www.reddit.com/r/ULgeartrade/comments/13xtba1/wts_yargear_38l_mtn_drifter_dcf_2021_edition_129/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=ioscss&utm_content=2&utm_term=1</p>

Paul D
    BPL Member

@paulieva

Shoulder strap chains would be great.  I’ll give a look.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana
    Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

MLD Hell?

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

You might find a used Mountain Laurel Designs Burn @ 35L. It ticks all the boxes except for price and a bungee to hold the sit pad.

The more affordable MLD Hell @ 27L has wrap around pockets. (Edit: Chris posted while I was typing_

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I have two packs around that size and I like both of them a lot. The GG Kumo carries loads so well and has very usable side pockets. The MLD Hell has been my daypack since they started making them again (last November?). The shoulder straps are so good and the size is great. It’s a little smaller than the Kumo and definitely a sturdier build.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Oh and I really like my Atom+. The frameless Atom 30 is $170 in their grid fabric and ships in 4 weeks. Build quality is superb here too and comes with more bells/whistles if you like bottom and shoulder strap pockets. Very nice shoulder straps.

Thom
    BPL Member

@popcornman

Locale: N NY

Zimmerbuilt is another

BC Bob
    Spectator

@bcbob

Locale: Vancouver Island

I have two LiteAF Ultra Curve packs that I really like.  Very comfortable.  Excellent backpacks. It’s rare to have any available without a long wait.  For $200 I would definitely consider this…..

https://liteaf.com/ultralight-packs/the-multi-day-35l-pack/

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I’ve moved to carrying my ZPacks Nero for my day hikes and weekend hikes.  It weighs less than 1/2 ounce more than the Sub-Nero and the extra size provides a little more flexibility.  The Nero ticks your boxes too…

Paul D
    BPL Member

@paulieva

Thanks. Wound up getting the new HMG Elevate. With pockets 29l and I used my veteran discount. Didn’t want to use it because I have bought several packs from them and didn’t want to feel like I was using it a little too much but I still have them all.

I am very grateful for what they offer for veterans.

Mike
    BPL Member

@skinnypete

Best pack I’ve ever used. It hugs me like a glove. https://www.volpioutdoorgear.com/product-page/fastpack-30

Frederick Allington
    BPL Member

@fcallington

Locale: S.N.R.A.

I think the Sub Nero checks all of your boxes.

Art Rhizhiy Hiker
    BPL Member

@verysimple

Dan Durston will release a frameless 30 liter pack towards the end of the year, if you can wait. Hot bonded and a new material.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

@ Paul

Let us know how the new pack works out.  You say “I have bought several packs from them [HMG]…” Presumably they were all bigger than 30L.

Paul D
    BPL Member

@paulieva

I’ll definitely have an AAR on it.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools