Topic

Please Help – Apparently my Body is Deformed and I Cannot Find a Pack that Fits

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Please Help – Apparently my Body is Deformed and I Cannot Find a Pack that Fits

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Lowell k
    BPL Member

@drk

Bonzo – thanks for the wait time heads up

Matthew – I am on GG mailing list, they said truck with Gorillas is expected in the next week or or so :)

Thanks for LiteAF – looking now…

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Lowell K,
    For a long time Osprey packs used hipbelt suspensions like those in common use. But a few years ago they came out with packs that stabilized the ‘wings’ of the hipbelt where they attached to the pack so the wings would not ride up or down. Don’t know how well they worked, or if Osprey even makes them anymore; but the effect is like having a pack with sidearms. If most packs keep too much weight on your back and shoulders, and not enough weight is transferred to the legs, you might try looking at more Osprey models. They are not all the same.

I used packs with MYOG suspensions for many years with side arms, and packed comfortably with no strain on the back (and much heavier pack weights). Ironically, it was BPL’s G-spot, as it was called at the time, that got me to make a pack with the usual hipbelt design, and that is when the back problems started. No company ever figured out how to get the weight off the back; but trying on some more of the Osprey models might be helpful. Another lighter possibility are the Zpacks packs, with have some models that friends tell me get the weight off the shoulders; but AFAIK, they are not stocked in shops, so you have to go through the hassle of ordering one to try, unless you can find a friend to let you have one to try.

Lowell k
    BPL Member

@drk

Sam – I have been wondering if I needed to pay a weight penalty for the level of comfort I seem to require. I have been looking at the Atmos AG 50 reviews and it has the wings you are talking about. It seems that it does not have the trampoline suspension the Exos has (most comfortable pack for me so far, but pulled me off center too much when scrambling). REI usually has a large selection of Osprey packs but my local store was incredibly low on inventory yesterday.

I am going to check out GG Gorilla 50 and LiteAF Curve 46. If I can’t roll with these then I will give up on the lighter packs and probably go with an Osprey model or Mystery Ranch’s Ravine. I have saved so much weight on all of my other gear choices, so not a bad situation really.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

pay a weight penalty for the level of comfort
    This is something we have learnt over the years. Super UL frameless packs are fine for a few kilos for a day trip, but most (not all) people find that the extra weight of a comfortable framed pack is worth it.

My wife carries a large framed pack which many would regard as hopelessly overweight, but because it is so fitted to her back and so comfortable, she does not care. Yes, she tried other packs, but they did not work for her.

Such a large pack also means that she can rummage around inside it to find whatever she wants. In Europe the size meant we had no trouble adding a few loaves of fresh French bread when leaving a high village.

Cheers

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

Super UL frameless packs are fine for a few kilos for a day trip, but most (not all) people find that the extra weight of a comfortable framed pack is worth it.

This, in spades.

I don’t care what the pack weighs as long as it’s doing a solid and comfortable job of protecting my back and my gear.  My 50L has two heavy aluminum stays – one on each side of my spine – and a polymer frame sheet over a pad of closed-cell foam, and no less than three compression straps on either side; these are all heavy additions, but they give me long-term comfort and they allow me to adjust the pack to ride correctly and pull it inwards to hug my back.  (Definitely not something you will enjoy at the height of summer in the US Southeast, though.)

In Europe the size meant we had no trouble adding a few loaves of fresh French bread when leaving a high village.

I’m stuck behind a desk, here!  Why you gotta go talking all sexy like that?!

Steve H
    BPL Member

@hop

Lowell, I don’t think I can reach side water bottles in any pack.  I’m 5’10” 175 lbs but probably more muscular then limber.  I’ve prioritized comfort & fit of pack over reaching water bottles – will utilize one of the other solutions for hydration (ie shoulder strap, slipping pack off, etc).  May look into that Evernew tube listed above.  Bottom line is fit is my priority.  I have a fairly new HMG 3400 & routinely carry 20-25 lbs total weight & love it!  Friend has a GG Gorilla 50 & he loves his too.  Good luck.

Lowell k
    BPL Member

@drk

Roger/Bonzo – it is good to hear from folks who have been more than fine with a slightly heavier pack

Steve – you hit the nail on the head for my situation – “bottom line is fit is my priority”

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I don’t think I can reach side water bottles in any pack.
    Our packs have clean outside surfaces with no exterior pockets at all. Our water bottles travel safely inside our packs. We rarely drink during the day anyhow, and if it is that hot that we need to, a stop and sit-down is always welcome.

Cheers

Lowell k
    BPL Member

@drk

Roger – I would definitely not feel well if I did not drink as often as I do, I sweat a lot. Maybe it’s the region, Sierras and local CA foothills, but I sweat all the time. Last weekend I hiked 3k in elevation, drank 4 L of water doing that, and still weighed less when I got home vs. when I left.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Hehehe…my 50L doesn’t have bottle pockets, either.  Nor do my daypacks.  I like things clean and trim: no snags, nothing to get caught on, and when it’s time for a drink or a snack I don’t mind opening the bag.

Lowell: you might want to consider electrolyte powders.  I started using them recently and noticed that my usually-ridiculous water intake dropped quite a bit.  I’m honestly not sure if there’s legit science behind that or not, but I’ve been drinking less and feeling better after using them, for sure.

Lowell k
    BPL Member

@drk

Quick Update: Osprey Atmos AG 65 fits me well, not sure if the trampoline panel is less than my Exos but it feels much more stable. Water bottles are easy to reach for me, weighs around 3.5 lbs. after taking brain off.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

3.5 is not much.  👍

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!